Internal balance 383 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 6th, 04, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Would a Scat 9000 series internal balance 383 crank require some mallory metal to be balanced? Everyone says if a balance job requires mallory metal its very expensive.
It looks like that would be the way to go if you already had a flexplate and balancer from a 350. Am I wrong and missing something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 6th, 04, 11:08 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

This will depend on your rods and pistons. Mallory metal is not that expensive, people seem to blow it out of proportion. With my new setup I had to have some heavy metal added the cost was $40 + $200 to balance (that includes welding in the Mallory). I needed a total of 1 1/2" of Mallory.

Now if you had a crank/piston combo that was way off, I guess it could get expensive.

The only way to know is to have it bob weighted, I seriously doubt it will get all that expensive. What's expensive to me may not be the same as what's expensive to you. So maybe we need to clarify what expensive is.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 6th, 04, 11:26 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Royce is right - unless you choose boat anchors for rods pistons you should be fine. More often than not weight is REMOVED rather than added to balance when using a new internal bal crank.(I think) My one piece 383 easily balanced internally without adding weight - mallory or otherwise - and I run a 350 balancer and flexplate.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 6th, 04, 01:26 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

Good point BPOS, the reason I had to have Mallory added was I used this same crank in another engine and weight was taken off. Since the new pistons were heavier they had to add a little weight. With a new crank they will more than likely have to take out some weight.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 7th, 04, 01:20 PM
Bill

Royce,
You guys must have some awful poor machine shop owners Around this area the going rate is $90 each slug installed plus the $200 for a normal balance job.
Chopper ... Scat can give you a "target" bobweight for thier crank, then if you know the weight of your parts, you can figure out if it will need heavy metal.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 7th, 04, 04:45 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

Bill, The balance was $200 + the Mallory metal. When you say a slug I am not sure how much that is. I am assuming I didn't need a full slug. I also had a lot of other machine work done so maybe they cut me a deal. The work is excellent and the prices were fair. I have learned not to shop a machine shop on price alone. I could have gotten better prices but, I know better. These guys have been in business for years so they are definetely not poor or giving things away.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 7th, 04, 09:03 PM
Senior Tech

I got an external balance scat crank, and with the scat capscrew rods and lightweight wiseco pistons, they had to take a ton of weight out of the crank to balance it. I might have been able to internally balance it, but already had the external SFI balancer and flexplate. BTW, my machine shop charges $125 for balancing, which is about average around here.

"This is not a cheerocracy...I make the cheercisions around here"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode