1970 487 Casting # Heads - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 03, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Exclamation

Found some for sale here localy for $130.00 complete but needing a rebuild. I have not seen them, I am told they are from 1970 and are 487 casting numbers. Can anyone tell me a little about them, Chamber size, what they came on etc.

OPPS........these are the casting dates G-10-71, and G-28-71. Sorry

Thanks
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 03, 12:40 AM
Senior Tech

They are 72 smog heads. 76 cc chambers.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 03, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Exclamation

what appoxemnt compression ratio would they yield on a stock 327, .030 over. I don't know what it has for pistons. I was told by the guy I bought the car from it they used all stock replacement parts. So what ever piston came with a 210 HP 67 327 would be a guess.

Would vortex heads be a better way to go? Or should I find a particular casting number of head?

Thanks
Joe

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 03, 09:36 AM
Senior Tech
Chad

Vortec heads would be alot better the comp. with the 487 heads would be about 8to1. Even if you have to buy an intake for the vortecs you can get heads & intake for less than $700.00.

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 03, 02:31 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Unhappy

Joe,
I figure about 8.5 or less for a C/R based on flat tops W/5CC valve reliefs and .017 deck or so. You need MORE POWER!!! Those heads were actualy used on lower performance Corvettes of the time. Probably big valve versions used on 255HP models but I am unsure of that. They will run better with a little bowl cleanup, some compression, a little cam....
[img]smile.gif[/img]
-Mark.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 03, 07:35 PM

Cool

The 487s have fairly good ports for a stock smog head with 76cc chambers, and should make around 8.5 compression with flat tops in a 327. But be aware that they are the pre-unleaded fuel heads and have "soft" seats. hard seats must be installed for use with unleaded fuel and if the guides are worn also, they can get fairly expensive to rebuild. So get them checked by your machinist and be sure you dont need to spend 300.00 or more bucks on them after you buy them.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 03, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Unhappy

Yikes $700.00 for heads and intake I only paid $500.00 for the car Sounds like I should pass on them and keep looking. I have thought about the vortec heads alot. What do you think the compression ratio might be with them? Your right Mark I need more power!! What would a good cam choice be with these heads. The car is a daily driver (about 40 miles per day) I don't race.........well not yet. I still want to retain good power brakes (will be installed soon) and reasonable gas mileage, yet I want it to sound a little healthy.

Joe

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 03, 03:50 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Joe,
Since I know where you are coming from, I would suggest a smaller chamber size for your 327. You have the 67 style brackets so you don't require the holes in the ends. I would look for a set of "041" or double humps to get you going. Small valve is fine. Do a little valve job after a bowl blend and run them. The other 76 cc heads would flow well enough and the big chambers would unshroud the valves but that is not enough compression.

This reminds me of another friend of mine in the same boat with a 396. He was having the same type of issues with piston/head combo not matching the cam selection. I think he ultimately went with a different set of pistons at a cheap price to solve that combo problem. Maybe you should look at a different set of pistons? I know you have the tools for the job [img]smile.gif[/img]

Personaly, I would look for some servicable double humps. They are besides the fact they work well for this application and they are a bolt-on that would give you in the area of 9.5 C/R. Worked well then, works well now.

-Mark.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 03, 04:51 AM

Smile

You might consider picking up a set of 305HO heads. They have 1.84"/1.5" valves, hardened seats and about 58 cc chambers and their ports are pretty good too boot.

I would think a set of -416's will do you fine but please double check my number...

All you would need to do to them is put a 1/16" or maybe up to an 1/8" radius on the sharp edge that outlines the combustion chamber to help them breath some and you are good to go!!

This is an old roundy-round trick for running them on claimer 350's... You know, the cheap engine stuff....pdq67

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 03, 04:16 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Angry

Joe, you might be able to get it to run pretty well with a Comp Cams 268 High Energy. I have a burette and a home made CC plate if you want to CC everything once you pull the heads. It realy depends a lot on the actual C/R you have with what ever heads you are going to run. Maybe we will have to have that next beer in Camden? [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

-Mark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode