Air filter and Car trouble? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 04, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy

My car started acting up yesterday. I went home for lunch when the car stalled, felt like the gas ran out. Let car sit for about a minute then it started up again, but RPM guage didn't work after that. Worked fine on the way back to work. Well after work the same thing, but in the parking lot. Pumped it and pumped it, flored it no start. Then I pumped it twice after letting sit for 1-3 minutes and it started up again. Went home no problems. This morning started up fine. Stalled on the way to work. It statred again, but then felt like gas ran out again. Took of air filter and left it off it started, no problems after that. Will the air filter cause this kind of problem. I'll go get one during lunch to see if it will solve the problem. Will also change fuel filter. What else can it be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 04, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Get both as you have stated and change them. The only symptom you give makes me think it might be a(n) intermittent ignition switch, or firewall connector, because of the statement the tach stopped working.

Air filter and tach are two completely different systems.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 04, 08:18 AM
Senior Tech
Steven

ARe you using stock or after-market air cleaner .. If you removed the entire cleaner assembly and it ran ok, you probably need to see if your air cleaner assembly is touching or possibly creating a short in distributor area/ignition and/or wiring that routes around the housing ... Also make sure that assembly is not interfering with any carb linkage and/or choke operation ...

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 04, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy

Well it did it again even with the air filter off. Do you think the carb could be flooding too? Maybe somethings wrong with the carb. It's not that old maybe 2-3 years. I don't remember when I did the last kit. If I take the tach wire off on the dist. then connect it back the RPM will start working again. What controls the RPM guage? Does the coil have anything to do with the guage? Maybe the coil is giving out or something? I'll have to check if the dist. is getting current when it won't start. Last time it left me stranded I changed the dist.,module, and coil. And found out it was the condensor inside the dist. I have a lot of things to check. Keep the info coming guys. I hate to be changing a lot of things to find out what the real problem is.
[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 04, 05:53 AM
Senior Tech
James

Send a message via Yahoo to james7773
This might be a long shot, but is there a posibilty of rust in the fuel tank? When you changed the fuel filter how bad was it? It could be that when you drive the car, the rust in the tank stirs up, clogging the fuel sending unit. Then you let it sit for a bit, rust settles, car runs fine. Like i said, could be a long shot, but Ive heard of this happening before.
James

My 67 RS 327...its a work in progress.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode