what 12bolt posi rears from what GM cars will work in my 67 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 01, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I currently have a 67 rs 327/275 with a pig powerglide and a 2:73 10 bolt open rear.

yuk.

I want a posi 12 bolt, heck i would settle for a posi 10 bolt if i knew what fit what,

Since my area only has a few junk yards to choose from I was wondering from What can I extract (or have pulled) 12 bolt posi that will fit in my 67 ???

I searched my rear off but no luck

any takers?

------------------

Chris's 67 RS can be seen at http://www.67rs.com
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING! http://nav.webring.yahoo.com/hub?ring=camaronet&list

[This message has been edited by Chris Edwards (edited 04-10-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 01, 09:33 AM
Kevin

Chris, I've been up to my rear in rears lately, (4 rears, 2 cars). I will be freeing up a 72 Nova 3.08 posi corporate 10 bolt(in my driver now) and a May 68 3.08 coded 12 bolt, without gears or posi. And a 4.10 posi gear and unit. Long story!
I'm a little short on Camaro cash to get the correct rears set up in the correct cars, but if you are interested in either one in the future (maybe summer time), drop me a note. We can talk details offline. Thanks, Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 ragtop, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69' Hugger Orange Z-21 ragtop 327/PG, Driver
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 01, 11:08 AM
Guess

I may be.... mind if I give ya a ring later this summer also?

------------------
Joe
[email protected]
'97 Blazer - Bad wheel hop!
'69 wallet crusher

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 01, 12:20 PM
Kevin

Joe, I thought I saw that you did get a new rear for your car? I might be mistaken. brain cells been low recently. I do not mind, first guy gets dibs.

Please send email for more info. I do not want to get in trouble for selling parts in the forum Kevin
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 01, 02:04 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

The '67 Camaro has mono leaf springs so you will have to find a '67 rear end or change the springs to multi leaf. The Nova and Camaro are the only cars that have 12 bolt rear ends that will fit. You won't find one in the average junk yard. As for the 8.5 10 bolt, the Nova and it's clones will work.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 01, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

thanks big gear head, not exactly the greatest news, but at least I know... what about the ford thing... I heard that a falcon rear would fit a mono leaf camaro too, but that too may be with major work.. I am looking for a plop in solution. and keep my monoleafs...

Kev, does the 68 rear with no guts have axles?

------------------

Chris's 67 RS can be seen at http://www.67rs.com
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING!
http://nav.webring.yahoo.com/hub?ring=camaronet&list
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 01, 04:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

I'm still looking also. Chased 2 this past week. Sometimes it's kind of fun going to look and sometimes you get down right nervous pulling up in some of these peoples yards.

Joe did you back out on the 8.2 rebuild? If the hunting doesn't get any better, like I said before, that's where I'm headed.

------------------
Robert

'69 getting better every day... (every pay day)
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 01, 04:27 AM
Guess

Oh no.... I still have the 8.2". And unless by some strange miracle I get SUPER lucky and stumble upon an 8.5" or 12-bolt with 3.73's for $400 in someones backyard, I'm still going to get this one set up as a 3.73 posi. I'm just keeping the channels open in case that miracle presents itself.

------------------
Joe
[email protected]
'69 wallet crusher
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 01, 04:32 AM
Kevin

Chris, the 68 12 bolt was totaly redone a long time ago with a 3.55 posi (rear is still together) and I never put it in the car. (car's still in parts) I picked up a date correct 69 12 bolt for the SS with a 4.10 posi. I plan to switch the 3.55 posi and the 4.10 posi. Of course the gears would need to be realigned. The 12 bolt is multi and the 8.5 rear is mono (but has multi's on it now).

How close it Pasadena to NJ? Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 ragtop, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 01, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

A multi-leaf rear housing can be used in a mono-leaf car.

One needs to stack 1 3/4 inches worth of spacer in between the spring plate, which locats the axle, and the spring pad on the axle tube. Just drill a 1/2 hole in the middle, to fit the spring pin and insert a 1/2 metal, steel, round stock into spacer hole and let it locate the axle onto spring plate.

Recheck wheelbase dimension as well as cross dimension to make sure wheels are square with car body.

I am looking for a 12-bolt housing, unmolested, I have my own innards. I would love to purchase just the housing, any year, 67-69, don't care what gear was in it before.

I have a 10-bolt mono housing for trade(?)and one axle.

Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 01, 07:25 AM
Guess

Everett,

Was that 10-bolt originally an 8.2 or 8.5" ?

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 01, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

Housing from a '68, I believe it would be a 8.5 inch. Axle has no studs.

Everett

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 01, 01:36 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

Everett,
The 8.5 didn't come out untill '71 so if yours is a '68 it would have to be a 8.2.

KevinW,
You said you have a 8.5 for mono leaf springs? Are you sure it is a 8.5? I never saw one that didn't use multi leafs. I'm not saying you don't have one, I just never saw one.

Chris,
I don't think the Falcon rear will work. I'm not sure but I think it may be too narrow. It would only be a 8" at best. If you wanted a 9" you could look for a early Mustang rear end. They are suppose to be easy to put under a Camaro. I don't know but I think the '66 and later Fairlane rear ends may be the same as the Mustang. If you find a Nova or other multi leaf rear end you can swap it with the springs too. You don't have to keep those mono leafs under there. The Nova springs will work.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"

[This message has been edited by big gear head (edited 04-11-2001).]
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 01, 02:37 PM
Guess

Angry

Darn.... Big Gear Head never misses a thing! I forgot they were all 8.2's until 71.

------------------
Joe
WCA Member
[email protected]
'69 wallet crusher
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 01, 05:28 PM
Kevin

Freddie, The rear has a C XX 2 date code, with a JD code. I could not find that code in the books, but it has a 3.08 posi in it. I have Colvin's books, so I'm sure it's a corp 8.5 10 bolt (has the ears on the lower pumpkin). It's in my 69 now and fits fine. The mono perches have factory welds, but I put multi's on them and made some filler brackets, works fine. A friend had a perfect date coded 8.2 rear for the car, so that's why I am going to redo the 8.2 and get rid of the 8.5.

I was originaly going to get the 3.36 gears, but I'm thinking about the 3.55 now. I'm only gonna to do the rear once, so I have to be sure. I'm going to do some rpm formulas with my setup and make a decision. I'll be dropping you a note when I'm able to get the parts. Thanks, Kevin

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode