Catelytic Converter Question? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 05, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Question

Which way do you install a cat.?

With the heat shield up to protect the inside of the vehicle or down to keep from catching the grass and weeds on fire...

I know, a stupid question to say the least!

But I don't know AND it's like 17 degrees outside and there is snow and ice all over my driveway or I would get down on all fours with my flashlight and look under my corn-popper...????

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 05, 04:08 PM
Senior Tech

Heat shield up to keep the floorpan from getting too hot.

BTW, if the weather is as good as they say it will be this weekend then I may come pay you a visit saturday or sunday.

"This is not a cheerocracy...I make the cheercisions around here"
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 05, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Angry

Come on up guy!!

I was just in the process of punching in yahoo weather to see what the local forcast is going to be for this weekend..

Dog-gone, I just did!!

Sat. = 45, Sun. = 57 and Mon. = 63!!

I'm off this Monday b/c of the new Governor's Inauguration so hopefully I can get some stuff done to both my car and the old P/U.

I have got the rearend torn apart to fix the leaky axle seals and rebuild the rear brakes on the P/U.

I just got a new cat. in the mail today and a new Mr. Gasket, "Indy" three-speed shifter that I won on ebay the other day for it so can see plenty to do..

pdq67

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 05, 04:02 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

You're not putting cats on your 496 are you Paul? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

If not, why on God's green earth are you working on anything else

We want this puppy running by spring . . . LOL

Just razzin' ya

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 05, 06:49 AM
Senior Tech

Paul, about all thats left on the 496 is just plug wires, right? I've got my pre-oiler in the car. Maybe we can light that thing off sunday.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 05, 08:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

yes yes yes SUNDAYSUNDAYSUNDAY!!! hehe.... send us a sound bite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 05, 05:17 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

Sunday ????

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 05, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

Smile

He, He!!

You guys are a hoot!!

I know, I know, but we just got about 3" of snow last night so I figure the good weather forcast was BS??

I want to get the old beater P/Uso it will run dependable and pass inspection and then give it to my oldest son for a work truck.

Then I will have access to a big P/U to haul mulch and lawn cuttings so I don't have to go beg somebody for one. Plus, my wife will have a fit if I don't do something to the old truck to move it out of the garage pretty quick!!

Let's see, back to my "Old Blue Pig"..

Drop the distributor in it and fasten all the sparkplug wires up.
Wire the coil and distributor up.
Hook up the oil line.
Fill it up with water and anti-freeze mixture.
Line up the P/S pulley.
Hardline rear calipers.
Hook up e-brake cables.
Re-bend another prop valve to distribution block hardline so it misses my Z-bar.
Put brake fluid in M/C and bleed all the calipers.
Figure up how to re-align my old "slapper-bars"?
Unlock drivers side door so it works again.
Put at least 5 gallons of gasoline in the tank.

Should be ready to time AND THEN fire her right up and go...

Oh almost forgot, have to grease the chassis and check all suspension bolts and nuts to make sure everything is tight down on the ground so the poly and springs will be pre-loaded right.

pdq67

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 05, 07:07 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

hahahaa around here 3" of snow IS good weather in January . . .

FWIW Since you mention lining up your p/s pulley I thought I would mention I just finished going through a 468" motor for a friend and fixed some belt alignment issues while I was at it . . . it's easy once I figured it out.

What I found is that on the alternator spacer (69 & later style) between the alt and head (the spacer tube the long belt goes through) the hole is too big on the head side and lets the alt twist throwing the pulley alignment off -- I just welded the hole smaller and re-drilled so the alignment was tight. Same thing with the p/s brackets -- welded the back hole on the cradle part closed and redrilled so it was tight and aligned correctly. Both are rock solid now. Maybe you could do something similar with your slapper bars?

PS. I'm probably travelling to Springfield MO in the spring, so if you aren't done by then I might just have to stop by and hassel you (and Travis) in person LOL

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 05, 07:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Ya know, like the old dragstrip commercials in the 60's.... Come to the track on SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY!

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 05, 09:34 AM
Senior Tech

Yeah, the weather people missed by a mile. It wasn't supposed to snow at all yesterday...we got 3" in 3 hours last night. And it was supposed to be mid 50's today...its low 40's out there now.
Eric, come on down. I cant promise I'll be here this spring but who knows?

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 05, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Angry

Eric,

Yes, feel free to drop right in on us!! Just let us know ahead of time. Columbia, MO is right on I-70 between St. Louis and KCMO..

I figure Travis will hopefully get a job closer to home or MAYBE at home in OK this summer, and if he does, I will miss our visits..

I just got back from O'Reilly's where I bought new drums, shoes, wheel cylinder kits, shocks, water pump and axle seals for the old P/U but I'm half inclined to table it today b/c the garage is so cold??? Boy they sure missed this weather!!!

I do want to go to the old-fashioned, George Ray's Dragstrip, 485 Highway 135 S., Paragould, Arkansas when it is running this coming year b/c from what I understand, it is still ran like it was in the '60's so should be a great road trip!!

They did a story about it on TV a while back and it reminded me of the old days when I was a kid!!

pdq67

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 05, 12:30 PM
Senior Tech

Paul, I came up around 1:00pm and you wasnt home. I was going to come up monday since I'm off but now they are predicting it is going to be raining all day. So I may come up tomorrow...depending on the weather.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 05, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Smile

Sorry I missed you Travis.

We usually go to Church last night but the weather has got my wife in such pain that we stayed home and I was under the old P/U 'til after 8:30 PM.

The wife, daughter and I went out to eat after Church at noon today and we didn't get back 'til later.

We don't normally go out for lunch but figure my daughter, (and S-I-L), may not get to for a bit..

Our daughter may go in tomorrow and the Dr's might induce labor b/c she's a week overdue so you might want to hold off this week??

We've been expecting her to present us with our first Grandbaby Girl for a week now, so we're kinda pumped, if you know what I mean...

I've also been hustling around town this afternoon after we got back buying rad. and heater hoses, hose clamps and sparkplugs for the old P/U too..

I will probably be messing with it again tonight..

Paul

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode