did i go wrong with my 327? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 03, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

i just got done putting my 327 back together with all the new stuff i got from the toystore (local speed shop) and i got to reading some other 327 combos and came across some possible problems.

my setup: 327 40 over 23 trickflow heads with 64cc and 190 runner, performer RPM manifold and a 600 holley. the cam i don't have the numbers for at the moment but it wasn't a ton more than stock.

from what i read it seems that i should have gone with something in the 170 to 180 range for the heads. is this going to cause problems? what can i expect from this?

just concered

thanks in advance

ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 03, 11:13 PM
Senior Tech

It will just be a little softer down low than if you went with a 170 or 180cc head. But with the right gear and convertor, you'll never notice
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 03, 05:21 AM
Senior Tech

We run 200cc Sportsmans on a 327 and it works very well. 380 hp to the rear wheels at 6000 rpm.

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM ...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
Semper Fi! L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft, B Co 3rd AT's, Khe Sanh Combat Base, February, 1968

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 03, 06:04 AM

Smile

You got that from me b/c imho, a little 327 just really doesn't need all the big a stuff bigger motors need to run great.

GM really did their homework on the little motor and got it just about dead-nuts right from the git-go with just the stock, hi-po parts!
The testiment to this is the 365hp carbed and 375hp F.I. 327 motors due to the old 30-30 solid cam and 2.02"/1.60" valved double-humper heads!!

And heck, they even got 340 and 360 hp outta little bugger with no more then 1.94"/1.50" valved heads and the little-bitty -097 Duntov solid cam!!

And they will last a VERY long time if you don't float the valves and also pull normal maintenance on them!!

pdq67

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 03, 06:40 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Cool

Saying the engine size "327" just sounds right Don't know what it is, i guess it's like saying "Camaro", best of both worlds "327 Camaro".

Your combo head wise is what a local guy is running in a 70 Nova. Our local track is 1/8 mile and 1000 FT. Not a full 1/4 mile. He will not say what he has for a cam, but it sounds lumpy. He will not say much more that what you can see. Casting numbers/date on the block put it as a small journal 327 and he is more than proud to tell you that! His car runs very low 10's and sometimes into the high 9's in the 1000 FT. Not sure what that computes to in the 1/4, but if you ask me it's impressive. It's also driven 50 miles round trip to the track. He tows a trailer behind it carring tools, tires, race fuel cooler and few other things.

BTW;
All carb and not running N.O.S, he has a combo that works and trick flows are part of it. it also sounds like it hits some serious RPM.He runs a Demon carb but I do not know the size and a performer RPM Airgap manifold. Wish I could tell you more.

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 03, 07:05 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

190cc runners might be a little big for a 327 but, that really depends on the rest of the combo. I've seen heads as big as 220-230cc on 327's. What is your intended use for the car? Since you have the larger heads why not take advantage of them and cam, gear and stall accordinly? If you have a manual transmission, it will effect your bottom end less. What gears are you running? What intake? This will effect how the engine performs with the larger heads. All said and done the MUCH better head design will still out perform the smaller stock heads (IMO). What kind of compression are you running?

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode