quick questionair - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 04, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Talking

i am about to give my original 350 (in my 69 ss camaro) to an engine guy so he can rebuild it for me to my specifications. The engine came as a 300 hp, turbo fire and still runs great with it's stock bores, and crank journals! Anyways, i am giving it to this engine/machine shop guy so he can rebuild it to my exact, wanted specifications. My question is...what is the lowest horse power/foot lbs. of torque that i can go to make my camaro burn some decent rubber? Also, what is the highest horse power/ft. lbs. of torque that can i go to have just as good reliability, durability, and long lasting-ness and obviously, burn more rubber? Is there a good middle-ground? You probably figured out that i like low end torque rather than top end (I want to burn some good rubber!) Also, you probably need to know that behind this engine i will have a muncie 4 speed, and 3.55 rear end ratio! thanks!

'69 SS 350 Camaro (true X55)<br />350 turbo with shift kit<br />3.55 posi rear end<br />favorite Bible verse...all of 'em!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 04, 10:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

hmmm, don't know why anyone would want to burn rubber, easiest way to do it would be to put original F78 bias ply tires on it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 04, 10:53 AM
Tech Team

On a budget, if it dont NEEd a rebuild, swap in a vortec top end (heads and intake) with a good cam should give you great power (LOTS of torqe down low too) for under $1000 total.

If you are replacing internals, go to a 383 for much more low end power. Can be done for no more than a new 350 bottom end.

2003 Yellow S-10 4.3L - Stock "The Bus"<br /><br />'75 Type LT<br />Slowly but Surely<br />Learning as I go...

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 04, 03:12 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

I'm not sure what you are asking exactly, but your stock 350 bottom end (just regrind & balance your crank, add flat top pistons, and good rod bolts) is fine if you are on a budget. The heads and cam are the key to waking this engine up. The Vortec option is a very good one or there are a number of very good aftermarket heads out there like the AFR 180, Dart Iron Eagle 180, ProTopline 180, and so on.

For a cam I'd pick something like the Comp XE268 that will make good low end TQ and still let the engine breath midrange and up top. A performer RPM intake and a 625 Edelbrock carb would top it off nicely IMO.

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode