ZZ4/FB385 Pan Gasket Install - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 03, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Al

I put the Hot cam in my Fasburn 385, and in the process somehow screwed up the pan gasket and wound up with an annoying oil leak both at the front and the rear. As a result, I now have the engine out and on a stand. This engine uses a one piece GM gasket, which is rubber (neoprene, I presume) over steel on the side rails and rubber only at each end. Does anyone have any advice on where to use/not to use silicone sealer when reinstalling this pan gasket, and any other advice to ensure a successful, leak free installation? I am using a brand new gasket. I want to do it once and do it right!! Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 03, 09:20 AM
Senior Tech

i believe it gets installed dry. make sure the oil pan is perfectly flat and straight on the mounting flange, and that you use the reinforcing strips. make sure they are flat, too. tighten the nuts evenly, starting at the middle and working your way out to the ends- like a cylinder head or intake manifold gasket.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 03, 11:46 AM
Senior Tech
Don

BPOS, I know what you mean.

I tried a cam change on a ZZ4, just taking off the timing cover, and trying to get the front part of the pan gasket to seal....it also leaked...badly...

I ended pulling the motor, and doing it right, replacing the pan gasket.

About the sealer, just use a small dab of Permatex Ultra-black at the timing cover to block joints, and the same amount on the rear cap seams.

This is direct info from a GM tech bulletin.

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't mess with Texas!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 03, 12:03 PM

You're getting great advise. One note for the future, If you do a cam change again with the engine in the car, loosen the oil pan bolts first. Start at the front and go all the way back. You want to remove the first four bolts on each side so the pan drops down about 3/4 to 1 inch then remove the timing cover. You won't ruin the oil pan gasket by doing this unless you try to pry on the pan and damage it. Reinstall in reverse order. Don't forget the sealant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode