maximum lift ? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 04, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

what is the maximum lift that the L31 vortec heads will accept? I've heard of some engine builders using cams with as much .490 lift without changing the stock springs.Is this safe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 04, 03:00 PM
Senior Tech

Measuring them is the only way to know for sure. Production tolerances are all over the place with the valvetrain on these heads. If you plan on usng anything more than a mild RV cam, you definately want to upgrade the springs, as the stockers are weak. I am using a XE268 cam (.477/.480 lift) along with the matching comp cams 981-16 springs, retainers, and locks, but with the stock rockers, and everything was a bolt in deal and clears just fine. I have roughly 5 years service out of this package with no problems. Some have reported that the 981-16 springs did not clear their valve guides and required a bit of machine work, but mine dropped right in place. If you want to use the stock springs, I wouldn't run more than about .440-.450 lift.

"This is not a cheerocracy...I make the cheercisions around here"
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 04, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info travis.I have the same cam & springs in my 1978 camaro, and in my 66 nova i have the XE262 with stock springs.Both cars have the vortec heads and i have had no trouble with either car.A buddy of mine is building a 327 for his car and was wondering about the maximum lift.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 04, 04:12 PM

Try this long read that I saved..

Here's some gold for you from Gary Penn of GM Performance Parts. I have several of his posts saved from a techboard somewhere on the net - I think it might be chevytalk, or chevelletalk or something like that.
Here is one of his posts that directly answer’s some of your queries. BTW - if you use Vortec heads you'll be flat amazed at how much power these things make for a truck head. I run them on a 413-cube small block and have nothing but positive comments for them.
Let's proceed directly to Gary's very detailed and insightful comments:

"Two years ago we undertook an exhaustive (no pun intended) study of the Vortec head in numerous modified states with different valve sizes, throat cuts, valve jobs, port mods, guide mods, etc. We used up about 10 heads, numerous valves, and about $50,000 worth of labor. The study generated 100+ pages of flow and swirl data, which I have at my desk.
Here is the short version. Out of the box, .480” valve lift, 350-400 HP dependant on the CR, cam, ring seal, oil control, blah, blah, blah.
More than .480” lift cut the guides down to clear the retainers.
Straight mill up to .060” safely, .080” with low CR of 10 to 1 or less. 0.100” is living on borrowed time. Always use flat top or dished pistons to enhance flame travel and intake swirl.
Angle mill up to 1 degree (about .110” off the exhaust side, .000” off intake side) safely for about 12 to 1 CR with flat pistons with little valve relief. Angle mill to 2 degrees (about .200” off exhaust side) if you like to live on the edge, it has been done.
Larger valves increase flow, chamber mods not needed, trade off between shrouded verses unshrouded valves not worth the decrease in laminar flow and swirl.
Throat cutting behind larger valves compliments the larger valves. Open the throat to the seat then remove the edge left by the cutter in the port.
Blend the seats into the chamber, you don't want an edge here to disrupt flow and create turbulence.
"Bowl blend" and shortened guide in port also improves flow. Taper and blend the iron boss.
Minumal porting increases flow, too much increase in port size or loss of the benefits of the shape of the stock port will decrease efficiency.
Vortec heads (and most others) like straight stemmed valves. Undercut valves create unwanted turbulence and a decrease in intake charge velocity (they add volume (slowing the gases) to the overall "port" volume just behind the valve where max velocity is required.)
Generally speaking, Vortec's stall at between .500” and .550” valve lift. This is where flow actually begins to decrease. But their true strength is low lift flow which gives more area under the total flow curve. And if you think about it how long are your valves at peak lift? They spend much more time at .400” and below, where the Vortec’s outperform most other heads. This combined with high velocity, lack of turbulence and superior combustion chamber design are where the Vortec’s stand out.
Unported, with all the other tricks in place, the Vortec’s will flow about 235-240 CFM at .500” I and 165-170 cfm at .500” E, on a 4" bore at 28" H2O, with clay radiused port opening. With some careful porting there is another 5-10 CFM or so to be had. But again the low lift numbers are unsurpassed at .100”, .200”, .300”, etc. lift. For example the Vortec’s flow as much air at .400” as .500” and no 23 degree head that I'm aware of can match them at .200”-.300” lift for the combination of flow and swirl. Even the Fast Burn head can't touch them at low lift, it's ports are too big (flow is similar, swirl is less), it does of course out perform them at lift over .500”.
Unported Vortec’s with the "tricks" can produce 500 HP on well built, high CR, drag race short block. 425-450 HP is more realistic for a killer street engine running on pump gas."

And;

Per Dirt R. You will love the Vortecs on a 400. Incredible torque and overall power. I bowl ported mine, and did some minor work in the runners. At a minimum, fully bowl work the exhausts, as they are the only real weak point on the Vortecs. You can use the stock intake and exhaust valves (which are back-cut from the factory) and the stock first-rate factory 3-angle valve grind. I came within a whisker of an 11-second pass in the heat of July running Vortecs on drag radials with a cheap Crane Blazer 234/244 hyd. cam. I ground off 3/16" off the bottoms of the factory retainers for retainer to guide clearance, and used Crane stock diameter valve springs.

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode