Big Problem - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 04, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

I have a 1988 camaro iroc-z 5.0 with a 5-speed tranny. MY car has always lagged a bit in acceleration before 1500 rpm but would be just fine after that. I firgured maybe it had to do with timing. But yesterday as I drove my car like normal the idle shot up to 1400 rpm and it wont go down. It will stay at 1400 in neutral and AT ALL TIMES. When I push the pedal to the floor the RPM Needle drops almost as if the car is going to die but then it will come back up very slowly (the pedal is pushed down the whole time).
I was told by the owner he installed an ads superchip. I dunno if this is true or not but could it be a cause? Also the car will overheat if i sit in traffic for more then 10 minutes, but will do just fine regular driving. Does anyone know whats wrong and how I can fix it? --Keep in mind my idle use to always be 1400 till i put in a new idle air control and whatever else the mechanic did(possibly timing) then the it idled niceley at 700 for about a month and a 1/2 till yesterday ---
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 04, 03:49 PM
Senior Tech
Lee

Check and see if you have any vacuum leaks anywhere. That can really screw up the computer and cause all sorts of weird stuff to happen. I would also schedule a trip back to the mechanic who did the work ask him, what's up with this?

As far as overheating, do you have the factory fan and shroud set up? Is your cap in good shape? What is the water level, maybe you have a pin hole leak. I had one once on my '97 pickup that I didn't realize was leaking until the temp guage pegged. If you have the original rad in the car, it might be time to replace or get it rebuilt.

Just some things to think about...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 04, 04:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

If it's a tpi motor, you may have a bad idle air control motor.

It's a 1" can w/ 2 ears where the screws are and an electrical connector on the end, on the throttle body. I've taken them off and cleaned em out, makes em behave for a while. If cleaning it fixes it, I'd get a new one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 04, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

I just put in a new idle air control. The fan is manual and works fine, however i do have another fan that only comes on for the a/c(a/c fan). Do you think i can hook the a/c fan up to my manual switch also so I can run both fans constantly? This will probly solve my problem since air seems to be the issue since my car runs fine when driving with cool air coming in. Or do you think i might just need to have the radiator unclogged and cleaned or sumtin? thanks for the help and i will check my lines tommarrow.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 04, 08:48 AM
Senior Tech

Those cars are prone to overheat in traffic. A lean fuel mixture can contribute. Do you get a check engine light? Does the check engine light work - does it light up when you first start the car?

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 04, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

The check engimne light always comes on like in the middle of the day.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 04, 02:47 PM
Senior Tech
Greg

It sounds dead lean like a major vacuum leak or something. I don't know squat about EFI cars so I can't guess as to the cause other than a vacuum leak but a leak will cause it to run hot due to lean mixture and a lean mixture will up the idle RPM as well as make it stumble when you slam open the throttle. I wouldn't worry about trying to keep it cool with fans, etc....something else is causing this and needs to be found.

69 Camaro, 3650lbs., 400ci, TH400, Coan 10" converter, 3.50 gear
D1SC, pump gas, 9:1, 10 PSI, Water/Meth injection
1.325 60', 5.988 @ 115.4 (carb)
Switched to Super Sniper EFI 2019
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 04, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

GET THIS! as i was driving the car to my freinds house it still had the problem ive been talking about. But after about 4 blocks the car went back to normal!!!! 700 idle and almost no hesitaion on the throttle when i floor it!! Something funny is going on and i dunno what it is, maybe something is loose? I know theres still a little tiny lag when i floor it, so there is either a leak somewhere or something is loose. Hope you guys can help me out.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 04, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/xjeffr...&.dnm=6996.jpg

I found this little metal piece i circled in the picture off and unable to stay on. It is the second metal peice on the bottom of the throttle thing. I taped it on but i dunno how long it will last. What doe sit do and how can i fix it?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 04, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

The little thingy that wasnt connected is a little metal piece connected to the throttle which leads to a cable that pushes in some kind of rubber pump behind the driver side headlights. What is the purpose of this little rubber pump? cause now that its connected i fell the car running smoother and going faster!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 04, 04:19 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Can't see the picture, but, by your description of a rubber pump on the drvr side, could this be the charcoal cannister you're describing?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode