RPM Drop at shift - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 04, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Tonight I had the 69' out for a drive. I noticed from a standing start when I floored it and it shifted into 2nd the RPM's would of course drop normally then right after starting to climb again they would drop again almost like it hesitated. This all occurs in a second or 2. It only happens from a standing start. When flooring it from say 20 mph it downshifts and sounds/runs great.

When I first took it out this year, I drove around the neighborhood and noticed a problem with the shift. I looked around underneath and found the vacuum line came off of the tranny modulator. I only drove less than a mile. Could this have damaged something?

Here's the setup:
396 with freshly rebuilt turbo 400 (ran great last year before I stored it)
I have a Hurst universal kickdown switch that I adjusted slightly to kick down a little earlier when flooring the pedal. Throttle response is good

What do you guys think could cause this?
Also while I'm posting... My quadrajet is leaking fuel from the front where the small filter is installed. Not from the main nut on the line, but from the plug right in the front(no visual cracks, looks like the plug is leaking). Whats a good fix, JB weld?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 04, 05:59 PM
Senior Tech

Do you think it is transmission related or are you using a shift to illistrate an RPM drop problem? Could it be your meat hooking up with the road? Is it repeatable at the same RPM with warm tires?

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 04, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

dnult:
I started off a little slow so I didn't spin then after rolling a little I slowly hit it all the way. The car would then shift into 2nd and the problem occured. If I was rolling fast enough to already be in 2nd gear, then hit it and it downshifted to first and up to 2nd, the problem didn't occur. The RPM drop wasn't caused by the tires grabing. Sorry I wasn't clear on that one. Any ideas?

I think I may try adjusting the kick down again because it worked fine until I messed with that. Weird problem though?????????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode