Carb Gasket and Steel Plate - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 03, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I am just about to install the Quadrajet carb on my 68 327 Camaro and I need to know the correct sequence of the gaskets. I have a paper gasket and a steel type gasket. Firstly which one contacts the intake manifold? Secondly, the paper gasket has a cutout about 1/2'' wide running nearly the width of the gasket (just in front of the primaries) the original GM cast intake has the same cutout however, the steel gasket does not have this cutout is this correct? Thanks for any replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 03, 03:25 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

I put a paper the steel then another paper.

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 03, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Really I need 3 gaskets (2 paper and 1 steel). Maybe this explains why I had difficulty adjusting the air/fuel mixture screws. When adjusting them before there was little change in engine idle speed.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 03, 04:02 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

Yes the steel will not seal and you would have a vacum leak.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 03, 04:21 PM
Senior Tech
Nick

The base gasket is not paper it is made the same as the exhaust man.gaskets with a steel mash in it.The way I install that;first steel then base gasket.The better way to do the hole thing is to install propane type intake gaskets the ones that block the exhaust ports to the intake.Then you can run paper style gaskets with out the steel plate.The holes that the steel plate covers are for winter driving which you will not do.(I hope) Mr. Nick
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 03, 09:45 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

I just fought this issue for two days on my 68 350. I could not get my car to idle after replacing the carb at all and it acted like there was a major vacuum leak. I plugged all the vacuum ports and I used a propoane torch to look for leaks around the carb or manifold and found none. I then looked in the box of parts I had removed and saw that I had left the metal plate off. I placed the metal plate between the carb and gasket and problem solved.

I guess this confirms the old story: You should never have extra parts left over at the end of a job...

Dave

68RS/SS Convertible L48 (350/295 Powerglide)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 03, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Now I am totally confused! I have three different answers to the same question. Help!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 03, 05:52 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

The gasket that goes against the intake is heat resistant. It has wire mesh in it you put it on first then the steel plate then a paper gasket. Go to your local parts store and look in the Felpro catalog the stuff is avalible from them.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 03, 07:59 AM
Team Member
John

No paper gasket - the heat-resistant thick gasket goes on first, then the metal baffle without the slot in it, then the carb. That slot in the intake lets hot exhaust crossover gases heat the carb base without contacting it directly, and has ruined (and rendered unrebuildable) more Q-Jets than you can count. A better long-term solution is to use 7/16" steel cap plugs (or freeze plugs, depending on what your parts guy calls them) and drive them into the holes at the end of the slots in the intake to keep exhaust gases out of that slot entirely; GM eliminated that slot entirely after 1969 due to all the carb failures it caused.

JohnZ
CRG
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 03, 08:37 AM

Smile

That's what I always figured John.

Thanks for the great explanation... pdq67

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 03, 02:43 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

JohnZ whar does it do to the carb. to ruin it?

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 03, 02:20 PM
Team Member
John

The extreme localized heat from the exhaust gases warps the baseplate. It's also not coincidental that the intake slot was eliminated following the biggest carburetor recall in GM history when the bowl plugs started coming out of the bottom of Q-Jets and causing engine fires. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

JohnZ
CRG
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 03, 11:07 AM
Senior Tech
Chad

Thanks for the info.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode