Its time for a new motor...please advise - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 03, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I've been doing a lot of reading...this forum, magazines, etc, and I want a decent motor for all-around, daily driven use. Something with some pep, but nothing finiky...I dont want to be constantly tuning the thing. So, Ive narrowed it down to three choices...tell me what you think:

1. MAS Performance "Red-Hot 383 Crate Motor" 420 hp, 450 tq on 92 octane. Turnkey at $4299.00

2. MAS Performance "350 Perfect Crate Motor" 383 hp, 408 tq on 87 octane. Turnkey at $3500.00
OR

3. GM Performance Parts "Fast Burn 385" 385 hp (425 with HOT cam), 385 tq. Add carburetor $4279.00...plus whatever the HOT cam setup costs.

I got this info from Chevy High Performance magazine. I am hoping to get a better deal than MSRP!
I want a good, reliable, depedable, non-overheating, fast-but able-to-just-cruise-too motor.

I'm NOT going to be doing the work myself. I don't have the time, space, knowledgeable friends, tools or talent! So I have to factor shop R&R into my budget of +/- 5k.

I'm told any of these motors will just bolt right up to my new B&M th350 street strip trans. And that I should be able to use my current accesories (Water pump, fuel pump, alt, etc.) But I have heard stories about clearance problems with the new type distributors fitting at the firewall.
From my previous posts, and from the pics and info on my car page (in my sig)some of you know what I have now. Probably not worth the $$ trying to open up and modify, right?

If anyone has experience with any of these motors, I'd love to hear it. I'm ready to pull the trigger!
Thanks.

Steve W
1968 Camaro Convertible
1966 GTO Convertible
1995 Harley Road King
"You can't always get what you waaant..."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 03, 10:29 AM
Senior Tech
Al

I have the FastBurn 385 with the Hot Cam set-up, and I am thrilled with it!! It idles very smoothly at 750 RPM, has 16" vacuum, puts around town every bit as easily as my old 307, and flat hauls *** when you nail it. (Unlike the 307!) I use the HEI that came with it and don't have firewall clearance problems. This is not to say you won't, however.

Factor into your cost a set of 1 3/4" headers, or "D" port headers specifically made for the fast burn heads.

The FB 385 is a pretty sweet engine - 4 bolt mains, steel crank, PM rods, decent hyper pistons, and it comes pretty much complete.

If you plan on adding nitrous, I'd look elsewhere, due to the cast pistons.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 03, 10:32 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Send a message via AIM to jg95z28
If it still has the original 327, I'd say rebuild it.

If not, Speedomotive has pretty sweet crate 327's...

Speed-o-Motive's 327 short block

'67 RS Coupe - Gold on Gold, 327/210, PG and mostly original
'67 Plain Jane Coupe - Penske Blue, Z/28 stripes, 350HO & Tremec TKO500
'95 Z28 Coupe - Dead stock (seriously)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 03, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

BPOS,
If you don't mind my asking, is that setup within the budget I described? I have the Doug Thorley headers and Carter AFB already on the car.
And jg, no 327. I have a 70's 350.
Thanks guys...keep it coming...

Steve W
1968 Camaro Convertible
1966 GTO Convertible
1995 Harley Road King

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 03, 01:54 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Sallee sells the FB385 with the Hot cam and 1.6 roller rocker upgrade for $4,700. You'd have to factor shipping, and install costs, which would most likely put you over $5k. I would think in LA that there would be a dealer that could match that price and save you the shipping cost. Here is the Salle version of the ZZ430, which is the FB385 plus Hot cam kit.

http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/Chev...eeZZ430HP.html

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 03, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

The Salee ZZ430 looks awesome! But just a bit pricey. Is that the only version of the 385 fastburn with HOT cam, or is it up to the individual dealers to add the cam and rollers?
As far as shipping goes, they still have to ship the stuff from GMPP to dealer, so who pays for that? Also, I noticed that GMPP offers a warranty ONLY if a GM dealer installs it. And won't the dealer negotiate on the price, just like the sales department does on cars?

Steve W
1968 Camaro Convertible
1966 GTO Convertible
1995 Harley Road King

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 03, 11:38 AM
Senior Tech
Al

The factory only made 430 zz430's, so you have to build your own. It's simply a matter of adding the hot cam and the rockers($400ish) to the fb385. You don't need the whole hot cam kit, as the fb385 uses the same springs and retainers. It's a fairly simple job if you have the tools and the knowhow, esp if the motor is on a stand.

You could also run the fb385 as is. It's still a fairly stout setup at 385hp, and do the cam change later.

I'd also take a look at the GMPP HT383.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode