Oil pan gasket front and rear seal? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 03, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I am going to install a new oil pan gasket. I am not sure the exact year of my 350 block. I assume it's around a 1970's (alternator on passenger's side, dipstick driver's side). I know that there are two different thickness's of front seals (bottom of timing cover) needed depending on the application. How do I tell which one I need?(other than to look at the one that's on there, it may be the wrong one, the oil pan is leaking)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 03, 02:35 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

Lay a straight edge across the front of the oil pan and measure the depth to the edge.

If it measures 2 1/4 inches, use the thicker gasket.
I think the new thinner gasket into effect in '72, could be wrong.......

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 03, 03:42 AM
Tech Team

I would recommend using a 1 piece gasket that felpro makes. It's made of rubber, so it's re-usable, and you won't get any leaks around the corners. Much easier. It is quite a bit more than standard gasket, but worth it to me.

'01 Formula 6 speed...a few mods<br />321 RWHP/338 Tq with just a lid<br /><a href="
target="_blank">Kansas F-body Association</a><br /><br />'72 GMC pickup...what is stock is a shorter list than what isn't.<br /><br />Looking for 1st gen camaro

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 03, 04:06 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

The one piece Felpro gasket is great. and it can be reused several times.

One word of caution though . . . the Felpro one piece sometimes includes these little blue plastic guide pins. The guide pins screw into the four large pan bolt holes, then the gasket snaps onto the guide pins and they hold it there while you put on the pan. Works great in theory, but I once managed to snap the front two guide pins off in the block when putting the oil pan in. They stuck down too low and of course putting an oil pan back while the engine is in the car is no picnic . . . I think my neighbors learned some new words that day.

ps. Its probably the thick front seal, I think the drivers side dipstick engines are that way. The thin front gaskets came into use around the same time as the passenger side dipstick. I would still double check though.

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 03, 05:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Up to and including 1974 Chevy used the thin front pan seal. In 1975 they switched to the thick front seal. Most all aftermarket oil pans use the thick front seal. The difference is in the oil pan itself.

Lay a straightedge across the pan rail from side to side and measure down to the lowest portion of the oil pan front lip. If it measures 2 1/4" (app.) you need the thin front seal. If it measures 2 1/2" (app.) you need the thick front seal.

The tip on the one-piece gaskets is a good one. From my personal experience, even though they claim you install them dry, I have to use sealer on the front and rear portions or they leak.

Jody

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 03, 09:25 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Jody is of course right about the 74 and down factory pans using the thin rubber seal while the 75 and up factory pans use the thick rubber seal.

Keep in mind that any GM "service replacement" pan, including the available pans for older 74 and down engines will use the newer design 75 and up thick rubber seal. Confusing to say the least.

-Mark.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 03, 12:44 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Another note on the one piece gasket install....clean and dry is a big key.(Both the pan and the block) I hope you have the engine on a stand...in the car is a BUGGER!!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 03, 02:16 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Bugger is a good adjective. On my one piece felpro the directions said to put a dab of sealer at the front/rear two traditional spots. The gasket was a sturdy piece. I haven't fired the motor up yet but am hopeful!

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode