69 SB Water Pump/Pulley & Alternator Info - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 04, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

I'm new to your forum, and have to say I already basically found the answer to my first question by reading/searching your posts - thank you.

I have a '69 that I am transplanting a mid '90s injected engine into. In attempting to keep things as correct as possible, I'm setting it up to run the proper pulleys, water + PS pumps, etc. from '69. I obtained all the brackets/pulleys from a local Chevy yard and bought a new long water pump. Everything lines up well, except the water pump pulley. The bolt circle of the pulley is too small for the pump. I checked your forum and found a post where '68 and older is 1.75" and '69 and newer is 2.125" (thanks to stingr69 & others). Apparently I have the wrong pulley.

I'm amazed I couldn't find this anywhere else on the net.

I still am curious to know if anyone has the proper dimension for the correct pulley (#3932402) from the flange to the back or the groove?

For that matter, does anyone know of these depth dimensions for the rest of the pulleys and ideally the bracket relationships? There is a lot of info (such as here and camaros.org) that list numbers, but not much dimensional detail.

One last thing - does anyone know the center to center distance of the mounting holes for the '69 externally regulated alternator? I am going to use the internally regulated '90s unit that came with the motor and don't want to butcher the '69 brackets. I'll make an adapter as needed, but need the correct dimension.

Thanks all, and hope I can return the favor in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 04, 01:20 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Thumbs up

Welcome to the Club! Glad you like it here.
Don't know the answer to any of your questions, but, the w/p pulley can be redrilled to fit it sets onto the flange flat and is of the correct belt alignment. At least this would hold you over until you found the correct pulley. You might try D&R Camaro out of Chicago and take a look at www.hemmings.com and search their classifieds.

I take it your wanting to mount a CS130 alternator. Yes, they are smaller. My suggestion to mount this alt, providing there is room at the cylinder head mounting, you could make a triangular extension plate going from the top alt bolt and inline with this top bolt, a second bolt straight up to the bracket slot. A third bolt, about an inch min distance towards the camshaft, in the adjustment slot. These two bolts would not allow the adapter to rotate and still be able to tighten the belt and not mangle the 69 brackets.

It would be nice if I could draw a picture.....

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 04, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, too bad you're the only one who tried to help. I was hoping for a more varied response, but maybe this is an old one and has been answered before.

I didn't want to drill the pulleys or the water pump flange, I prefer to have things as right as possible so things fit later down the road. I went back and plowed through the bins at the local chevy recycler (www.elmersauto.com) I finally managed to find a complete setup on a car, there, and they let me take off the pieces I needed. I'm all set now.

Maybe, if I find the time, I'll measure them up and share the info here for the record.

The alternator bolt center to center is 6.6" from both measuring a real one, and from an alternator web page I found. My alternator from my engine donor vehicle has mounting at 2 and 6 o'clock. Your suggestion is good, but I talked to yet another local shop who can find me a compatible electrical cross with the right 6 & 12 o'clock mounting ala camaro.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode