Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 03, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
TRT
Senior Tech

Red face

OK guys, here is what I did.
Last nite I installed the harmonic balancer on my
brand new Goodwrench 350. I wanted to find TDC so I have a long scribe that I put in the spark plug hole on #1 so that I could feel the piston come up.
Here's the problem.
The scribe had a tiny soft plastic tip on it to protect the point. I left this on thinking that I wouldn't scratch anything like the cylinder wall or piston top. Well, when I pulled the scribe out, the tiny tip protector did not come out. I tried blowing it out, I tried vacuuming it out. No luck.
So here's my question
Can I start the engine anyway, figuring that this tiny piece will burnup in combustion ro should I pull the head?

Color me embarrassed and stupid

The voice of dissent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 03, 08:06 AM
Guess

Cool

heeheehee sorry, hadda giggle. Been there.... done that.

Make a small cone out of paper that's the same size as the sparkplug hole and attach it to the vacuum again. Maybe it'll catch the plastic tip. Or use a length of vacuum line hose that fits in the hole. Fish it around and see if it'll suck it up. Most likely it's rolled down the piston and is laying against the cylinder wall directly under the sparkplug hole.

I know I'll catch flack but personally, I'd run it. It may just get blown out the exhaust. Depending on how hard the plastic is, it might bind up a valve until it gets crushed, if it doesn't melt first.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 03, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
TRT
Senior Tech

HwyStarJoe,

Thanks for the reply. I already tried all of
the ideas you mentioned. The plastic is very soft and it's only about 2 times the size of a head of a pin.
I was thinking like you mentioned. It will probably just burn up and get blown out with the exhaust.

Thanks, Here's to you [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

The voice of dissent

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 03, 11:42 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

How about coating something like a nylon wire tie with vasoline and do some probing. Rhat
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 03, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
TRT
Senior Tech

Hmmm...
Good idea I'll give it a try.

Thanks [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

The voice of dissent
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 03, 12:12 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

Just leave that spark plug out (the one with the plastic piece) and crank it a few times. That ought to blow it right out the spark plug hole. If it still doesn't come out try firing the engine with the same plug removed - that should definately shoot it right on out of there!

Even if it doesn't come out I don't see how a small piece of soft plastic would hurt anything anyway BUT I sure as heck ain't going to be the one telling you to just fire it up --- that's your decision

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 03, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
TRT
Senior Tech

Thanks Eric. [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]
Don't worry. I'm not a lawyer, I won't hold you
responsible for your suggestions

The voice of dissent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode