New Posi Rear End Making Noise - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 02, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Cameron

I recently installed an 8.5" rear end in my Camaro. I put everything new in it except for the carrier. It was free and it looked good, so I used it. It is a factory style posi unit. I used Mobil One gear oil for the first couple hundred miles. During that time, my rear end made dull squeaking noises during tight turns. I put in the posi additive which made it a little better, but not much. The carrier seems to be very tight. Even in situations when one tire has alot more traction than the other, both tires will spin. A few days ago, I drained the Mobil One and put in Amsoil Series 2000 gear lube. The noise was still there right after I changed the oil, but it was gone the next day. I just got back from a 300 mile trip and the rear end is making the noise again. What do you think could be wrong? Should I put in a bottle or two of the posi additive or does the problem lie elsewhere?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 02, 04:44 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

I use either one or two bottles of additive but it is only used for the chattering posi plates, not for squeeking. The additive is required if the rear makes a "snapping" sound around turns. You have another problem and I suspect the spider gears would be a good place to look. That carrier is suspect to me.

-Mark.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 02, 01:11 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

I haven't heard a posi squeak before. I would start looking for something else. I'd like to know what you find. Maybe something in the brakes, like a drum rubbing on the backing plate.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Byars Performance
High Performance Drive Train Parts And Service
www.lubedealer.com/biggearhead

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 02, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Cameron

It has to be something inside the rear end. It changes depending on what oil I use. So far, the Amsoil has been the best, but the noise is still there. It seems to get worse as the rear end gets hotter. Its not a real high pitches squeak. Its like a low pitched, dull squeaking noise. It only happens during tight left hand or right hand turns, when one wheel is turning significantly faster than the other. I am going to try pouring in the GM posi additive. I'll let you all know what happens.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 02, 10:35 PM

You won't like this answer, but I had your problem a week ago - new gears, new Eaton posi. Got it all together and it worked fine except for a dull groan when turning sharp and slow. After trying replacing the gear oil and adding an extra tube of posi fluid, I took it back to the shop that did the install. They claimed it was worn axles. Given they were the original axles and I do some racing, I decided to replace them. Groaning problem solved.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 02, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Cameron

What was worn on the axles to make it do that? I am just having trouble figuring out what could be worn on the axles that would make a noise like that. I have the original 8.2 rear end. Will the axles from it fit my new 8.5? If they will, I may give this a try.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 02, 03:06 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

Your 8.2 axles will fit the 8.5 if they are the same length.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Byars Performance
High Performance Drive Train Parts And Service
www.lubedealer.com/biggearhead
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 02, 04:42 PM
Senior Tech

They make replacement bearings which are inset farther so you can use your old axles if the problems are the bearings and races.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 02, 08:17 PM

Sorry, I don't know exactly what was worn on the axles. I'll give them a call tomorrow and ask.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 02, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Cameron

Thanks,
I can't figure out what could be worn on the axles that wouldn't cause the rear end to make noise all the time. My rear end just makes noise during tight turns in either direction. All of the bearings were replaced and the bearing surfaces on the axles looked fine when I installed them. I am going to try pouring in the posi additive this weekend. I'll let everyone know what happens.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 02, 09:37 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Have you checked your axel bearings? (the ones at the brakes.)

------------------
My '68 Camaro
Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.
[email protected] W/ 2.73POSI.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 02, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Cameron

Yes, axle bearings and all other bearings in rear end are new. I'm getting ready to jack the car up and add the posi additive. I'll let you all know what happens.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 02, 03:21 PM

Heck, I wouldn't think that the axle splines being worn a schosh would create any noises!!

Or is it possible that the "C-clips" are moving too far as the axles move in and out when turning real tight???

Don't know... pdq67

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 02, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Cameron

pdq67,
That sounds possible. How much endplay should the axles have? I can move the axles in and out a little.

I was going to put the additive in last night, but I never got around to it. I'm going to try and do it today if it quits raining.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode