LS1 engine damage - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 03, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ray

My friend has a 98 camaro with the aluminum LS1. While driving on freeway engine lost power and s.e.s light came on. Towed back.I used the tech 2 and it Had code P0336 crank sensor circuit. I checked the wiring, installed known good sensor but same thing(hard code). I told him the reluctor wheel on crank must be damaged(something hit it etc..)

Towed to shop,they confirmed damaged tooth on wheel via bore scope. They removed pan and found metal pieces in pan(needle bearings from rocker arm, larger roller possibly from a lifter and some other smaller metal pieces)

The car would start and run, no water in oil, idles ok but no power and backfires.

My question: Is the engine a boat anchor? I know aluminum is easier to damage but its also repairable. How bad do you think it is? He wants to know if its worth paying the shop to remove/strip/inspect the block or just pay for a straight engine replacement(providing he can find a used engine, not sure if a new LS1 would be worth it for him. May exceed the value of car if you include the labor)

Thanks, Rayzor

p.s. I found a gm technical service bulletin that was about finding needle bearings in your oil pan, they recommend replacing all 16 rocker arms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 03, 06:19 PM

Unhappy

Have no idea about cost vs worth of the car, but do want to say that it's a shame your friend's engine appears to be toast! Sorry it happened!!!

I just gotta ask how many guy's on this board think that aluminum needle bearing rockers, stock or otherwise should be used for daily drivers?

Especially when there is a service bulletin out that say's IF you find rocker arm parts in your motor, then replace all of them, but they sure didn't say back to good old-fashioned STEEL ones like has been used since I was a pup!!!!!

And doesn't Chevy use some aluminum valve spring retainers on a few of the hi-po V-8 motors and just how long is the life expectancy of those suckers too??

I wonder if there is a service bulletin out on them that say's to pull the flat strip steel dampers out of the springs when they start chewing the aluminum retainers up and you drop a valve!!

I am just mildly venting here b/c it is stuff like this that has totally turned me off anything new from GM unless it is made by Suzuki or Toyota or whoever else that has a GM rebadged car/truck/SUV being sold through them..

pdq67

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 03, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ray

PDQ67 I hear ya! I worked as a mechanic from 90-96 at GM/import dealerships (Pontiac/Isuzu then Chevy/Toyota) and it was a fact that when mechanics went to buy new family cars using their alloted employee discount, 90% of them bought the imports (mostly Toyotas).

Not trying to bash GM, Heck 3 of the 4 cars I've owned were GM's(71 camaro,68 camaro,67 camaro ,toyota 4-runner)Be it I didn't have to worry about a bad mass air flow sensor,e.c.m.,crank sensor with my Gm's

The LS1 engine is out of the camaro and the shop will be tearing it down for inspection.

Ray

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 03, 02:58 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

That is the down side to roller anything, once it lets go it is usually very ugly. No more roller cams for me (at least not on the street). As for roller rockers I have run aluminum with no problems, the cheaper ones are just that (cheap). My Comp Pro Magnums are not aluminum and are very nice.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode