SB Aluminum Rods (Waste?) - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 03, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Im building a SB 350 and already have 750 bucks in my 993 heads..have not started on the bottom end yet...I bought the motor on fresh rebuild and it had 882 heads one was cracked...So The bottom is stock except the pistons are flat tops with the eyebrows in them...Now what I want to know is Manleys forged 7075 Aluminim Rods worth the money..Ive heard they make a world of difference...But im looking for opinions here...These rods are $490.00 set of 8...I do not want to waste money...I want power!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 03, 09:27 AM

All I know is what I've read, and that is: Aluminum rods stretch over time and are not good for street use. They are mostly used by drag racers (with deep pockets) who replace them every season. In addition, because of rod stretch, you have to run more clearance betweeen the pistons and valves. I wouldn't use them myself.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 03, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

That makes since I never thought of that thanks need-for-speed....Have you known anyone use them on street?

1965 Impala 350 Chevy (Stock) Turbo 350 Tranny.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 03, 09:58 AM
Senior Tech

Yes, I ran them for a few years in a 302 in a Nova. On the street, plus raced them. They had a zillion runs, plus the street use. They were Bill Miller Engineering rods. BME, C & A, GRP, Manely, Giannone, etc., all make good aluminum rods. They would not be the best route in a street motor though. They are designed for higher rpms where a steel rod would not suffice. They are a bit lighter than steel rods. They cushion the shock loads better than a steel rod, that is also another reason they are used in drag motors. The big end of the rod is more likely to get out of round with aluminum as well. The fatiuge life is short compared to steel rods. All in all, I would get a good set of steel rods for a street motor, and then forget about them.

Oldani Motorsports

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 03, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by screamin283:
That makes since I never thought of that thanks need-for-speed....Have you known anyone use them on street?
You are welcome. I don't know anyone who has used them on the street. As Oldani says, buy a good set of forged steel rods and fugetaboudit. It's often a mistake to use "racing" components on a street car.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 03, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by need-for-speed:
It's often a mistake to use "racing" components on a street car.
Enough said...........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode