Help with pinion bearing install - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 02, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
m22
Tech Team

I am currently rebuilding my 12 bolt rear end (first time) and i am stuck with a few questions. First, I can't figure out how to install the smaller pinion bearing back onto the pinion shaft. It appears that the bearing has to be placed back into the rear end housing and then have the pinion shaft pressed into the bearing but i can't seem to get it. I've tried to use the splined yoke piece to press the bearing back on by tightening the end nut but it seems to make the bearing bind ( definetly more then in/lbs of torque needed to rotate.

The second question is around using a dial indicator to check pinion depth. I am using the original ring and pinion gear and just replacing the bearings, sleeves and the crush sleeve. I have heard opinions that if the rear end worked before and you are just replacing the above mentioned parts, you should be able to get by with just checking contact patterns of the pinion & ring gear.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.( i am beginning to feel that i am over my head)
thanks in advance.

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 02, 02:40 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

First, I really hope you are not using bearings made in China. The pinion bearing is sometimes a tight fit. Put the bearing in place and then install the pinion seal (put RTV sealant around the outside of the seal and grease the rubber lip). Put the crush spacer on the pinion shaft and put the pinion in the housing. Get the pinion as far into the bearing as you can and then put the yoke on the other side (put some RTV sealant inside the yoke in the splines so oil doesn't seap out through them). Hold the pinion with one hand and tap on the yoke with a hammer in the other hand untill there are enough threads to get the nut started good (put red LockTight on the threads). Tighten the nut with a impact wrench untill the crush spacer makes contact. You will need a large pipe wrench or something to hold the yoke while you put about 300 foot pounds (or more) of torque on the nut to crush the spacer (you will need a 3/4 drive 1 1/8 socket, breaker bar and cheater bar for this). Crush the spacer untill you have 20-25 inch pounds of preload on the pinion bearings. You might get lucky and have everything go back together with the original shims, but not all bearings are the same thickness, so your shims may not be right. E-mail if you need to.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Byars Performance
High Performance Drive Train Parts And Service
www.lubedealer.com/biggearhead
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 02, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
m22
Tech Team

big gear head,

I have done the steps you have described. My concern is that right now its torqued to roughly 100 ft/lb and is binding soo bad that i can barely turn it with my hand. Is this normal? What could be binding ?

thanks in advance

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 02, 03:37 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

Did you use a new crush spacer? Sounds like it may not be long enough.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Byars Performance
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 02, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
m22
Tech Team

yea, I used a new crush spacer... I compare it to the one i took out it is about .187-.250 longer. It should'nt be binding like it is should it ? Should it ever bind ?

thanks,

m22
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 02, 05:30 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

Did you get the new bearing races driven in all the way untill they seated? Did you use the same pinion shim and get the bearing pressed on the pinion untill it seated? I'm just trying to eliminate possibilities. Check the pinion seal and see if the yoke is making contact with it. It should take much more than 100 foot pounds before the spacer even begins to collapse and the bearings start to make contact.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Byars Performance
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 02, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
m22
Tech Team

I figured out what the problem was. The small pinion bearing, crush spacer and large pinion bearing were not tight enough to all make contact... As a result when i tightened up the pinion nut it was forcing the small pinion bearing to make contact with housing creating the binding. Once all three parts made contact the binding stopped....what a relief!!!!!!

thanks for your help and for your continuing responces

m22
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 02, 05:34 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

I hope it works well for you.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Byars Performance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode