Engine overheating - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 16, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dean

Engine overheating

I hope I'm not violating any forum rules here but I have a similar post in a different location here but have only received one response and am hoping for a little more direction. Please dont send the forum police after me.

Anyway...my car started overheating last week. I noticed the temp gauge was at 210 at a stop light but the strange thing is that after I started driving the temp never went back down. I pulled out the old thermostat and noticed that it was stuck open so I installed a new one. Thinking this solved my problem I took the car for a test drive only to experience the same thing. The temp quickly rose to 210 but would not cool down while driving.

I let the engine cool off and removed the radiator cap and started the engine. I never really noticed the fluid circulating but as the engine temp rose the fluid level would begin to rise and around the 210 degrees the fluid would overflow out of the radiator. And YES. I did install the thermostat correctly. I am certain I did not put it in upside down.

IF the fluid level would only rise and not circulate does this mean a bad water pump or clogged radiator? I did have the head off last month to install a few heli coils and the engine did not have this overheating issue until I reassembled the engine. Im really stuck on the fact that the fluid level rises. Hoping someone can give me a few ideas. Thanks.

1967 Camaro Convertible with a 327, TH350transmission, Edelbrock 1406 600cfm carb, Edelbrock 1721 fuel pump & 2701 intake.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The true measure of a man is not where he stands in time of comfort and convenience but where he stands in time of challenge and controversy."
MLK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 16, 04:29 PM
Senior Tech
mike

Re: Engine overheating

If you had the head off and did not use the right gasket that could cause a problem.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 16, 05:04 PM
Senior Tech
Rick

The level will rise as it heats up before the thermostat opens. This is normal. After the thermostat opens you should be able to the water circulate in the radiator. What brand and temp thermostat did you use? Also search the Chevelle site for Wheaton and overheating. His method works.

69 COPO clone, 461" BBC 11.25:1 Compression
840 Rec Heads (2.25/1.88) AED 850 HO carb
Orig Exhaust Manifolds
Straub (Clay Smith) cam, 288/300 .600/.569 109.
TH400, 3500 stall, 4.11 12 bolt posi

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 16, 05:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

My first thought was to make sure all air was out of the system, even if it meant pulling one heater hose , on the pump and watch to see if air is not in the area, fill the hose and reinstall, get motor running and don't fill full, with the cap off , look down inside the core tubes, is water flowing .

As someone mentioned, about the correct head gaskets , you may have covered a block jacket hole.
As for the water pump, if you do pull it and replace, look for water pumps with the enclosed or covered impellers.
I believe Elderbrock started this using enclosed impellers, Then others followed, What this does is keep cavitation out of the pump. I use a Stewart pump. There are also 'cooler discs" that are nothing but a flat round plate riveted to any open impeller pump. Cost less than $10 .

When you replaced the water pump, its been known to drill two 3/16" holes in the flat plate. This allows water to flow before that stat temp rises. I use 170į stat.
Check to see if your cap is holding 16#. You didn't mention what fan or clutch you are running.
Hope that helps. Ignore what I repeated from others.

Consider this if you have to replace head gaskets, Felpro has gaskets that give you instructions to drill additional water passage in block, to match heads.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode