Spark plug wires for engine with headers - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 05, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

Are the stock Delco wires going to burn if the engine has headers? If so, what is a good set (in black) to look stock and be the right length?

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 05, 05:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

You will be glad if you use a set of good aftermarket silicone wires with headers. Many manufacturers have them in black. Get 90 or 135 degree boots. 8 mm is best, but would be a very tough fit in the stock looms. I use Taylor Sriral core 135 8 mm. They are absolutely burnproof. Don't know if they come in black tho.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 05, 07:07 AM
Tech Team

I had the same desire as you for wires, stock looking 7MM black wires. I bought a set of the Pertronix wires fo rthe small block Chevy. They're high temp and low resistance. I haven't had a chance to put them on yet, the car is sleeping for the winter right now.

Brian

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 05, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

Brian,
I saw those wires in the Summit catalogue. I wonder if they are truly custom fit or extra long and floppy. Thanks Jim also.

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 05, 12:03 PM
Senior Tech

Talking

Hehehehehehehe. You said long and floppy......
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 05, 05:41 PM
Tech Team

Hmmmm...that would bum me out if they were long and floppy. I think I'll try them out this weekend and will post how they fit. I have the stock wire stands and I'll post a picture.

Brian
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 05, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

Thanks Brian. A test fit would help.

Quote:
Originally posted by kz1000ltd:
Hehehehehehehe. You said long and floppy......
What can I say. I was lookin' at a Summit Rqacing catalogue, not a Victoria Secrets cataloge.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 05, 06:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

long n floppy, kz? you wish... I think or were u talking ears?

Then on the other hand, never saw a set of "custom fit" w ires thsat weren't long n floppy...lol

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 05, 07:13 PM

Angry

I bought Taylor "real wire" wires for my BB with headers b/c I want "real wire" wires and I needed the 135 degree boots!!

They are black.

Might look into them?

pdq67

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 05, 10:52 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Gary,

I'm using the OEM, date coded, replacements from Lectric Limited on my '68 Z/28 with Hooker Competition Plus headers. I have one or two wires that are close to the tubes, and still no problems. They also fit in the looms and look 100% correct. They are about 2 ˝ years old, but the mileage accumulation is low – maybe 2,000 miles.

See the details at their webpage.
http://www.lectriclimited.com/mainpage.htm

Thanks for the heads up on the engine fan/clutch hunt. I have tried all of your leads with no luck - still looking. If you hear of anything let me know.

Steve
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 05, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

Thanks Sek. I will check those wires out.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 05, 07:32 AM
Tech Team

Gary,
I went to put the Pertronix wires on and the wire for cylinder #1 was 15" longer than the stock AC Delco wires on there, so I just stopped.

I called Summit and they said I ordered the wrong wires. I ordered 708101 for Chevy/GMC small blocks and they said that 708103 for Chevy/Buick is the right one, so they're going to exchange them. It would have been nice if either their website or the Pertonix website would list the applications rather than having to guess which ones to get.

Oh well, we'll see what happens with the new ones.

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode