BIG ole HEI - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 04, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Will a regular Cowl induction air cleaner setup clear a HEI distributor on a 350? I have a performer RPM intake and a Holley carb if that helps. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 04, 07:20 AM
Senior Tech

Not sure about that, but chances are the big ol' HEI won't clear the firewall adequately without a little modification with a hammer.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 04, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

actually its already installed and clears the firewall by about 1/4 inch. I dont have a air cleaner on it and I have to make sure the cowl setup will fit before I order one.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 04, 07:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike, 69's rule

Mine fit no problems, but I have a eldebrock carb, not a holley, check my sig for a picture, I have both a chrome 14 inch and a cowl in there somewhere...good luck...Mike

(STAY THIRSTY, MY FRIENDS).

1969 Camaro
1990 IROCZ28 convertible (SOLD)
2004 Silverado Z71 4x4
2008 Pontiac G8 GT
GGSMU member

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 04, 12:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Check out my signature and you'll see what the previuos owner did to my car to get HEI to fit. He smashed in my firewall with a sledgehammer, which has since been fixed Bashed firewall

Fixed firewall

My car had the original 350 engine mounts and no cowl induction and it was tight.

Team Camaro Gold Member #14

1967 Camaro RS/z28 - one of 602 made - SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Camaro RS/SS L48 4 speed
1974 Camaro LT-Z/28 4 speed 33K orig miles
1979 Camaro Z/28 36K orig miles
1987 Monte Carlo SS 25K orig mi bought new by me.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 04, 04:51 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

You shouldn't have to massage the firewall if you have the correct mounts etc... I have a big Mallory Comp 9000 and it clears easily.

Bob
Garnet Red 69/SS396/TH400/355 Posi Sold
'02 triple blk Vette Vert. now
94 HD Dyna Wideglide
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 04, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

The HEI fit pretty easily on mine. I have one of the largest Mallory HEI's you can buy and I didnt have any trouble getting it in there. The little wiring drip rail had to be removed so it would slip down in the intake but other than that, no problems. I just want to make sure a cowl air cleaner with the rubber gasket will clear the HEI. I still havent seen anyone with a picture of a smallblock with a HEI & Holley 4 barrel and a cowl air cleaner. I really dont want to spend the money if it wont fit.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 04, 02:11 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
You may have to visit Dave's Small HEI. Someone here has his address/phone number, I think he moved his residence/workplace.

A small HEI will clear most everything, I believe, as I think, he makes things work in the original(?) distributor.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 04, 07:42 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Not sure if this helps or not....I use a GM drop base air cleaner (14") and I had to massage the rear of the base to get it to clear my HEI distributor. I think the cowl induction system is bigger than what I use - my guess is that it will hit.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 04, 05:31 PM
Senior Tech
Don

I have a 350, Holley Dominator II intake, Holley 670 Street Avenger carb, and the cowl induction air cleaner clears with a 3/4 inch spacer that is required to get the seal up to the hood.

I don't know how the height of my intake compares to your Performer RPM, but I'd expect them to be about the same. Also not sure how a 68 vs 69 might affect the numbers either.

Are you ordering your parts from a place that will allow you to return them if it won't fit?

Donald
68 Camaro convertible (resto on hold)
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 04, 07:45 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Good point, Donald. I forgot that the cowl air cleaner has to sit up higher to reach the cowl scoop. (I'm a flat-hooder!)

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 04, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Are you ordering your parts from a place that will allow you to return them if it won't fit?

--------------------
Donald
68 Camaro Convertible
(Originally an L30/M20)

I havent ordered one yet. I really dont want to have to "massage" the cleaner base to get it to fit. Does anyone have the exact measurements of the base of a cowl induction air cleaner? Also, I need to know how much drop there is in it, if any? Maybe I can do some measuring before I order it. Thanks.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 04, 10:33 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

My Z/28 stock cowl air cleaner would not fit. It hits the distributor. If I use the stock style distributor it fits as original.
Jim
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 04, 10:50 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
On my 406SBC and torker intake with a 750 Holley and drop base filter fits fine. BTW its a 14"O.D. assembly.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 04, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

does it have any drop in the bottom of it or is it basically flat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode