396 engine recipes ? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 03, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Hello I'm looking for suggestions hope someone can help I have a 396 block (272)
Rectangular port heads (840) (casting #s)
Aluminum hi rise intake (163)
Holley carb (4346)
all are original parts what i need is a good cam, piston, crank combination so I can run what looks like a 396/375 HP motor on 92 pump gas if anyone knows the right recipe please let me know
Thanks Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 03, 07:20 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Angry

Gary, I'll try to get this started. I am assuming you are looking at a street motor. If this is the case, I think you have a darn good start. As far as pistons go, I would consider a hyperutectic (sp) piston that would give you a final compression ratio of no more than 9.5. With this and iron heads, you should be safe with pump gas. A 9.0 ratio would be better. As for teh crank, I am using a cast steel crank from SCAT in my 454. I got it from Northern Auto Parts at a great price and I ma very happy with it. A cam is a big choice thing. I am not a cam guru so I will keep my comment simple. I would look for something that will work in teh 2000 to 6000 RPM range. I prefer hydralic on the street but a solid cam is also good, if you don't mind adjusting the valves. Like I said, this is a start. AS for rods, stock rebuilt rods with ARP bolts should work well with no problem. I use Clevitte bearings, but Federal/Mogul and others are also good. Just food for thought.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 03, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Codi thanks
Yes my primary concern is that the car is reliable being that its going into a convertible and I have no intentions of racing it.
What I don't know is how do I adjust the compression ratio (cutting the piston tops?) and what effect that will have on the parts I need to have on the car to make it look like a 396/375HP motor will a lower compression motor flood from the amount of fuel this carb will deliever? ETC. I am a mechanic but... a forklift mechanic so what I deal with is propane not gas
Thanks Gary

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 03, 05:23 PM

Smile

Please consider the good old CC 282S for a decent, although not max for it's size, solid cam! I bet you will like it...

As alway's just my humble opinion.. pdq67

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 03, 10:36 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Your safest bet is to contact the piston manufacturer and provide the engine info to them. Their tech staff will advise you as to what piston to use. Compression ratio has to many variables to consider, deck height, piston dome/dish, head gasket compressed thickness, combustion chamber size, etc. The piston techs will ask these questions so be prepared. As far as looks, just get a color picture of any 396/375 and match the chrome parts, manifold, paint, etc.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 03, 01:09 PM
Senior Tech

They make a 9.5 to 1 replacement for the L-72 ( same motor just bigger bore) I don't know if they do for the 396. You could use the 350hp piston with your heads it will be real close to 9.5 if everything isn't set a min specs. For a cam stay on the real mild side you have a lot of head for a 396 and it is real easy to make it a pain to live with.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 03, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Question

Oger what do you mean it can be a pain to live with?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 03, 12:02 PM
Senior Tech

No low speed torque. The stock cam is fine even with less compression but don't get carried away unless you have a manual trans or a loose convertor and a lot of gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode