I need help... - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 03, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

I have just bought an 83 z and I'm wanting to get a little more gas milage(currently around 8mpg) and possibly a little more hp. I'm also trying to pass an emissions test and managed to fail misserably. If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it.

There is currently a 350 crate motor in it, edelbrock intake & cams package. Everything else stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 03, 05:24 PM
Tech Team

A more specific question would be helpful. How does the car run? Has anyone set the timing and fuel mixture? When was the last tune up?

Mark Perkins<br />ASE Master Auto/Truck<br />68 RS LT1 700R4 <br />67 RS Convertible
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 03, 05:57 PM

Smile

Mark has it right-on b/c you should really start back at square one and give it a complete tuneup. And this means wires cap and rotor, too if it hasn't been done in a long time!!

Don't forget the PCV valve and all the vacuum hoses and such b/c they may be rotten by now too.

I usually even go so far as flush out the rad. and install new rad. and heater hoses and all belts just so I will know how good they are later on..

I've done this many times and after going through the suspension, brakes, exhaust and shocks you will ba amazed how long a $300 beater will run!!

And don't forget to pack all wheel bearings when doing the brakes...pdq67

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 03, 05:57 PM

Smile

Mark has it right-on b/c you should really start back at square one and give it a complete tuneup. And this means wires cap and rotor, too if it hasn't been done in a long time!!

Don't forget the PCV valve and all the vacuum hoses and such b/c they may be rotten by now too.

I usually even go so far as flush out the rad. and install new rad. and heater hoses and all belts just so I will know how good they are later on..

I've done this many times and after going through the suspension, brakes, exhaust and shocks you will ba amazed how long a $300 beater will run!!

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 03, 05:58 PM

Smile

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 03, 06:03 PM

My machine is acting up sorry. pdq67

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 03, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Angry

Thank you for the advice, I have got a tune up and mew brakes and tires all around, but wasnt to sure about the dist. The carb is still out of adjustment but i was planning on messing with that this weekend, but i have set the timing. I forgot to mention that earlier. If I get the dist replaced and carb adjusted, would it probably pass an emissions test? If not what else could I do. There is pretty much no EGR system left in it.

I have just bought an 83 z and I'm wanting to get a little more gas milage(currently around 8mpg) and possibly a little more hp. I'm also trying to pass an emissions test and managed to fail misserably. If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it.<br /><br />There is currently a 350 crate motor in it, edelbrock intake & cams package. Everything else stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode