Engine General Engine Discussion.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By dhutton

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 16, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Help! Fender is hot to touch!

This is really weird. I was finishing up breaking in the cam on my new crate engine. The engine was running at 2200 RPM for about 10 minutes. Within 5 minutes the passenger side fender got so hot I could not put my hand on it for longer than 2 seconds. I could feel hot air blowing that direction from the fan and radiator area. I am running headers and everything is brand new. I'm hoping this would not be an issue if I am driving down the road and air is cooling the fender and radiator but I have never seen or even heard of this before. I'm about to take the car to the paint shop in a week or two and I don't want the paint on the fender to get so hot that it bubbles or peels...

Tony
Follow my current Camaro project builds...
1967 Coupe (Sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1968 Convertible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 16, 05:24 PM
Team Member
Don

Re: Help! Fender is hot to touch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondora68 View Post
This is really weird. I was finishing up breaking in the cam on my new crate engine. The engine was running at 2200 RPM for about 10 minutes. Within 5 minutes the passenger side fender got so hot I could not put my hand on it for longer than 2 seconds. I could feel hot air blowing that direction from the fan and radiator area. I am running headers and everything is brand new. I'm hoping this would not be an issue if I am driving down the road and air is cooling the fender and radiator but I have never seen or even heard of this before. I'm about to take the car to the paint shop in a week or two and I don't want the paint on the fender to get so hot that it bubbles or peels...
Ideally you would use a large fan to direct air into the radiator and engine bay when doing something like that. At least I do. Same when I am charging AC etc.

It should be fine when you are going down the road.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 16, 06:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Factor in the off timing if you just cranked up and ran by ear. 2200 rpm in 10 min sounds about right. Having headers the heat would tend to rise behind the fender aprons, unless you were running fender well exit. Pun intended.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 16, 11:23 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Help! Fender is hot to touch!

Is your battery grounded to the fender and not the engine block as it should be ?

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 16, 04:32 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

As suggested, fender is going to get hot with no ambient air moving from a fan in front of Camaro.
Headers are a great heat radiator, more so then cast iron manifolds.
Your temp gun will go to max reading and might get stuck there...

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 16, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS69 View Post
Is your battery grounded to the fender and not the engine block as it should be ?
No. I am grounded to the engine block. Do you have a picture of the fender ground that I should have? I thought the AIM showed a ground to the engine block...no?

Tony
1967 Coupe (Sold)

1968 Convertible

1969 Convertible
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 16, 06:18 AM
Team Member
Don

Quote:
No. I am grounded to the engine block. Do you have a picture of the fender ground that I should have? I thought the AIM showed a ground to the engine block...no?
It would take a huge amount of current to make a fender hot to the touch. Much more than your battery or alternator could produce. It would likely blow a hole in the fender at the point of contact long before the whole fender would be hot to touch.

Don
Moonpie likes this.

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 16, 08:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mickey

I've seen headers get red-hot in that time frame on a dyno or the rollers for emissions testing. That would radiate a ton of heat but not to be able to hold your hand on the fender seems really beyond that.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 16, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonpie View Post
That would radiate a ton of heat but not to be able to hold your hand on the fender seems really beyond that.
They do get hot. I remember when first design of ceramic coated headers came on market, the coating flaked off during camshaft break-in. Even the old Blackjack headers with plasma-spray alum.
No airflow and fender(s) gotten hot enough to literally fry an egg.
Watched a friend do this and his egg was cooked - both of them - the header set and the egg - solid yolk.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 16, 11:03 AM
Retired
Jim

Your battery should have a huge wire that gets grounded to the block and a pigtail that gets grounded to the fender right above the battery. You should have both.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 16, 04:23 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Help! Fender is hot to touch!

Quote:
Grounding to the block IS correct. Sorry, if my wording was confusing.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 16, 04:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

Seen red hot headers on cam break ins many time. Get the timing right and not so bad. Big fan at the radiator excellent idea.

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 16, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post
Your battery should have a huge wire that gets grounded to the block and a pigtail that gets grounded to the fender right above the battery. You should have both.
Roger that!

Tony
1967 Coupe (Sold)

1968 Convertible

1969 Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode