GM Goodwrench short-block - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 03, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
chris

Question

The "Shermanator" article in the October SuperChevy magazine states that they start with a GM Goodwrench short-block. In the article they also state that since the short-block is not modified that it is covered under the factory warranty. I've seen only the Goodwrench long-block advertised and have yet to find a Goodwrench short-block listed anywhere. Where do you find a Goodwrench short-block for sale?? Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 03, 03:32 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Thumbs up

I haven't read the article yet, but here's the 383 partial

383 short block

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't mess with Texas!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 03, 06:15 AM

The Shermanator uses a GMPP ZZ4 shortblock, it is $1995 through Scoggins or Pace. Scoggins dickey also sells the L31 Vortec shortblock, 4 bolt main, 5.7 pm rods, 4VR cast pistons, cast nodular crank it is $1499

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 03, 06:50 PM
Senior Tech

Does that short block come with a forged crank rods and pistons? what is it rated too? I am looking for one that can take 500 hp plus a small shot of N2o

69 Camaro RS, 383ci,10.5-1 AFR 195's ported, Comp 286HR, 4340 forged Crank & Rods, JE Pistons, RPM Airgap, Holley 750 HP carb, 350 turbo w/ shift kit, 3000 Coan, Be cool, caltracs,12bolt 355 eaton posi..Best E.T. 12.22 @ 112

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 03, 07:34 PM

ZZ4 has forged crank, pm rods, hyper pistons, dont know what it is rated too, I know Super Chevy has been using the ZZ4 sb for their Danger mouse series and it has been holding up well to all the dyno runs and thrashings.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 03, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
chris

Question

I'm a bit confused still....did I misread the article in SuperChevy or is "GoodWrench" synonomous with "GM" as far as crate engines go. I thought the "GoodWrench" crate motor was the base, no frills long-block retailing for around $1299 from GM. Maybe the article was inaccurate...we all make mistakes. Thanks to anyone that can clear this up for me.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 03, 05:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

The article also said it had cast pistons. Unless that's an error in the writeup, then I don't think it's a ZZ4 shortblock being used.

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 03, 06:25 PM

Your right they are saying it is the GM Goodwrench with cast pistons shortblock, In another article he is using ZZ4 shortblock, the super chevy one I believe is his budget crate, to an extent. so that sounds like the L31 shortblock.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 03, 07:39 AM

I'm happy with my 350HO. $2K for the long block isn't a bad deal. I figure I'll "break it in" for a while and then throw the Hot Cam and do the heads to accept 1.6 rollers. My buddy dropped a ZZ4 in his '73 Vette and is extremely happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode