exhaust ground clearance problem - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 03, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

hey guys,

i just got new 1 5/8 in dynomax headers, a hedman x-pipe crossover, and dual hooker maximum force mufflers installed. well the mufflers hang real close to the ground and scrape EASILY is there anything i can do about this? should i raise the rear of the car a little bit or something? would i pick up an inch or two? thanks for help, ill probably go back pretty soon to wherei had them installed and see if they can tuck the mufflers in any more, but still is there anything else i can do?

Connor

1971 midnight blue #'s matching RS/SS-<BR>357ci, mild cam, sportsman 2's, edelbrock 750,<BR>TH-350..........Working on the purchase of a 1970 racer (horrible body) but nice drivetrain! 350, dart iron eagles, 4.56's w/ mini spool, flowmaster exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 03, 05:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
I had the same problem with my 72. The front end was so shot, and so low because of it, I had to add air shocks to the rear to help it out a bit. I couldn't go thru a drive thru car wash without the sub frame hanging up on the guide rail. LOL
Which is one reason the car is tore down now.

67 RS 327, 4-speed, posi, done.
67 Modified, 454, TH-400, posi, under construction.
67 SS 396, 4-speed, basket case.
72 RS, sitting, partially done.
55 210 post, 2 door, 327 4-speed runs good.
55 2 door post, gasser project
69 Cadillac ElDorado
69 4x4 suburban
59 ElCamino

Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing thru the leather straps"
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 03, 09:00 AM
kip

connoro,

i would go back to the shop and explain how much ground clearance you need. chances are the shop can do it right and hang them closer to the floor. just doesn't seem right they hung it so low you scrape everywhere....
one thing that catches my eye on some otherwise cool rides, is an exhaust that hangs just too low, usually with mufflers pointing in odd directions. i like a tight look that you dont notice from the rear and gives you max clearance.(with maine roads you need max clearance!)
personally i wouldn't change the ride height,ie. air shocks, to accomodate low hanging mufflers as a long term solution. short term sure, you dont wan to ruin your new exhaust parts.
how much clearance is there between the floorpan and the top of your mufflers ? how tall are the mufflers,i'm not familar with them?
if they're already very tight to the floor, then notching the floorpan would be my next course.
with a #'s matching '71 this may not be an option for you.
good luck
kip

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 03, 08:28 PM
Senior Tech

Raising the tail does help. The part you might have problems with the most on speed bumps is the collector-exhaust connection plates. It's about an inch of extra protrusion. With the rear raised the headers are the only rear contact with the ground. The mufflers will have plenty of room. I'm sure you are already remembering your routes and hazards. Anyway the 71 I have originally had flow masters but i've gone to turbo mufflers that are less racket. I might try cherry bombs or thrush glass packs next since they are thin and smooth allowing me to be able to bring the rear back down to stock and get some real cornering performance. Taking speed bumps slow and at an angle is the best tip I can give you for now. I'm close to dumping the air shocks so I might have a real report on how good glass packs do staying out of the dirt.
1. Glass packs are cheap and quiter than flow masters. uh maybe
2. Air shocks (looking like a dragster).
3. 15" rims in the rear.
4. Questionable speed bumps at an angle.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 03, 04:08 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

I would take it back and have them raise it up tighter top the car. notching the floor pan [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img] I wouldn't hack up the floor on a ford much less any camaro. If you can't get it up any tighter with what you have start pulling of the mufflers and get some that will fit bettter, or as snatchen gears said but, don't ever hack up a car for and exhaust...speedy
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 03, 06:20 AM
Tech Team

Sounds like a very poor installation to me. I have a 69 big block car with 3 from the headers to a set of Flowmasters and 2 1/2 out. The installer was a real craftsman. It can be done
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode