700r4 to powerglide - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 01, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

im pretty sure that i have seen a few posts on this but i thought i would post my own. i am swaping a 350 into my 84 and i was wondering what i would have to do in order to mount a powerglide in place of my 700r? will it just bolt right in or will i have to do any work to make it fit or will it not fit at all? i need all the help i can get here because i was told the 700r would work and now i know that i will have to get another trany to make it work so i am just going with the free rebuilt powerglide!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 01, 01:19 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
What are you using your car for. The 2 speed powerglide is not a good choice for a daily driver. Your 700r4 has 4 forward gears and switching to 2 will kill it's drivability. If you are gonna see 75% track time in your car then go for the TH350 but don't even think of using a powerglide.

------------------
...Dennis
The Cars:
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
The Club:
Camaros Limited Nor-Cal
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 01, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Unhappy

i will be using the car as a daily but the problem is that i have 10000$ of med bills to pay and the powerglide is free. on a college student budget that is the best price and all i can afford. and i cant use my 700r4 because it is for a v6. so thats why i need the help with the powerglide. (it is a powerglide right? i havent seen it yet and it came out of a 69 camaro ss, automatic)

[This message has been edited by cnred84 (edited 02-01-2001).]

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 01, 01:00 AM
Senior Tech

Normally I am the last person to suggest not getting rid of a 2.8L v-6 but in this case, if you cant afford to get at least a th350, or better yet a v-8 th700 (maybe a trans shop/salvage yard would be interested in at least a partial swap?) then I think you would be better off to leave the car as is for now. For the amount of work required to swap to a non-700r4 trans, you would end up with a car that would feel like you was taking off in 2nd gear all the time. Powerglides are best for high hp, broad torque range engines in very light, drag only cars. Do you even know if this powerglide is any good? Even without having to get the trans rebuilt, your still looking at fabricating a torque arm and modifying the speedo cable, driveshaft, and the x-member. Tranny's arent exactly fun to replace, and you would be losing so much by using a powerglide. This is just my opinion, but I think most will agree with me here.

------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 01, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

ok well what about using a turbo 350? i may be able to work out a deal with a guy at work for one. his dad drag races and has a few that he offered to sell me but mabey he will trade my engine and tranny for one or give me a deal. what would i have to change to bolt that tranny in?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 01, 09:59 PM
Senior Tech

B&M makes a torque arm setup for the th350 to use in the f-bodies...you will need something like that plus have the driveshaft lengthened, and I think you will need to relocate the x-member (move it backwards if I remember right)

------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 01, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Wink

ok thanks i will work on getting that tranny now i think i know where i can get one and have it rebuilt and swap it for my engine and tranny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode