1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vega

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 16, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Chris M.

strange fuel color

Team Camaro,

During the process of troubleshooting a timing problem, I noticed a tiny dribble of fuel leaking from the secondary feed line to the carburetor. It had a strange orange/brown color. To further investigate, I disconnected all fuel lines from the tank to the carburetor and collected what you see in the glass on the right. To compare, I siphoned some gas from the tank and put that in the glass on the left.

Before I tried turning over the engine a couple months ago, I flushed the entire fuel system with detergent. Are my fuel lines rusty? That strikes me as odd, because I figured all fuel lines on the market ought to be stainless steel. Is there something else going on?

What do you think?

Last edited by resto_noob; Aug 30th, 19 at 07:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 16, 07:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Re: strange fuel color

Based on what you are saying, I think you have old fuel (darker )in front of new. I would try to purge all the fuel into a container that you can look at closely. I am thinking you will find the newer fuel but you may also be finding trash or rust as I don't think fuel lines were stainless from the factory or at least I haven't seen any, I think once you strain the fuel via fuel filters, you should be getting clean fuel into the carb.

Your climate is or should be dry with not much water getting into service station tanks, but there are some stations that have issues.
With the E85 fuel around the corner , I would consider replacing fuel lines with the newer poly type unless there are safety concerns, use stainless.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 16, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Chris M.

The fuel system was dry when I got the car, and I flushed all the fuel lines with detergent before filling the system with new gas about two months ago.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 16, 08:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by resto_noob View Post
The fuel system was dry when I got the car, and I flushed all the fuel lines with detergent before filling the system with new gas about two months ago.
Detergent may have caused rust. Being dry may have caused surface rust inside tank, Be safe , make sure tank is rust free, fill and raise rear of car and let gravity flow into a container say just off the fuel lines, install filters, maybe one before fuel pump and one after to carb.

You don't know what previous owner did with the car, could have been sitting outside with cap off. Never know. If in doubt, remove tank and pull gauge and inspect. Maybe have it steam cleaned?

Maybe others may have a different opinion but that's my free one.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 16, 08:57 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Are you using a fuel filter? Is it new? If that isn't it, I'm going to take a wild shot at this and suggest changing your fuel pump. The thought being crankcase oil is somehow seeping into the fuel through the pump...

Oh, not all fuel lines are stainless, you have to pay extra for stainless replacements and they are about 2x the price.

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 16, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Chris M.

Good words, fellas. Thanks for the help. I think I'll start with the fuel pump to make sure that oil from the crank case isn't somehow seeping in to the pump and contaminating the fuel. Aside from that, maybe replacing the fuel lines to rule that out as well.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 16, 09:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Good words, fellas. Thanks for the help. I think I'll start with the fuel pump to make sure that oil from the crank case isn't somehow seeping in to the pump and contaminating the fuel. Aside from that, maybe replacing the fuel lines to rule that out as well.
Just a note, the an internal leaking pump has been known to leak fuel into the crank case oil as well , there are two diaphragm inside, so replacing the pump would cure those problems.
It may be a good idea to remove the carb and turn upside down to remove whatever fuel you have in it. I believe you mentioned it was the carb where you noticed the darker fuel leaking? Work safe around these vapors.

Don
TC # 349

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 16, 09:48 AM
John

Garage

Quote:
Oil from the fuel pump is a long shot and I wouldn't start there. For oil to get in the fuel it would have to go past the diaphram. If the diaphram is leaking the pump won't pump.

Take the fuel hose off at the fuel tank. syphon a little fuel out. If dirty it's the fuel tank. If clean fuel in the tank then it's in the fuel line.

Next take the fuel line loose at the carb and crank the engine (pull coil wire off coil so it doesn't start) and pump some fuel into a clear container. If clear then it's just some residual fuel in the carb from time and your recent cleaning proceedure.
onefiness likes this.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 16, 09:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

I stand corrected.

Don
TC # 349

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 16, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Chris M.

At this point I'm suspecting the fuel line from the tank to the pump is corroded. Gas in the tank siphons out clean, but the fuel in the lines between the tank and the pump is a dirty brown color. The fuel pump seems ok mechanically, so I don't think the diaphragms have failed, and the check valve in the fuek pump should prevent anything on the carburetor side of the system from getting back into the line where I found all the nasty fuel (between the tank and the pump).

The fittings on the line are metric, so maybe the lines are cheap after-market replacements prone to corrosion? The flare on the compression fittings also looks non-standard.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 16, 08:10 AM
Tech Team
Bud

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdld17 View Post
Detergent may have caused rust. Being dry may have caused surface rust inside tank, Be safe , make sure tank is rust free, fill and raise rear of car and let gravity flow into a container say just off the fuel lines, install filters, maybe one before fuel pump and one after to carb.

You don't know what previous owner did with the car, could have been sitting outside with cap off. Never know. If in doubt, remove tank and pull gauge and inspect. Maybe have it steam cleaned?

Maybe others may have a different opinion but that's my free one.
What detergent did you use. I have not heard of that.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 16, 12:01 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by budro6968 View Post
What detergent did you use. I have not heard of that.
Steam cleaned.

Don
TC # 349

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 16, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Chris M.

Turns out it was just bad fuel. The stuff I siphoned off the tank turned a nasty shade of brown just a couple days after I collected the sample.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode