The search for more power... - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 16, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

The search for more power...

I have a '72 402 with 69 truck heads (3933148....69-84, oval, open chamber, '69 396/265hp, 366T, 427T, 112cc chamber). Roller tip rockers. ~9:1 compression. It's been rebuilt with Silvolite stock spec'd pistons etc.
I have what seems to be a lifter tick on #7 intake. I adjusted them again and even tried going to a full turn for preload. I re-used the cam and lifters that I got with it because they were a/m. Not sure of the brand. Maybe a local grind. I picked the engine up in Detroit. So I'm figuring a bad lifter now.
I'm planning to throw a cam and lifter set at it. A friend has a set of Brodix heads that I might do some horse trading for and maybe not.
My questions are: #1 What should I get for a cam grind if I leave the heads alone. #2 Should I spend money on this short block? It's tight and doesn't burn any oil.
I'd like to leave my factory looking brake booster, so that adds some limitations on height. I might change valve covers as much as I don't want to.
I can see myself getting a roller cam and spending some money on heads. I can't afford to do any machine shop work right now. Cams are relatively inexpensive HP and Tq, so that might be all I do.

'69 SS396 X66 L34 08D M21 BS
460ci Gen VI 9.75:1 AED 950 carb
241/249 @ .050" .625/.625 110 LSA

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 16, 07:13 AM
John

Garage
Re: The search for more power...

My concern would be the lifter tick is the 1st sign the cam lobe is going down.

He did the same thing. He tightened up up until the tick went away but after a few miles the tick came back. He also had a 402 with a stockish cam and springs

Last edited by Vega$69; Aug 26th, 16 at 08:16 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 16, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
My concern would be the lifter tick is the 1st sign the cam lobe is going down.

He did the same thing. He tightened up up until the tick went away but after a few miles the tick came back. He also had a 402 with a stockish cam and springs
It's a good possibility that the cam is going flat, but I had the cam in my hands when I pulled it apart and everything looked fine. It ran fine for the first month with no tick. I didn't immediately set the valves with it running when I got it back together though, only my initial setting. I ran it up to 5k once or twice like that so I might have had it too tight, doubt it, but I probably damaged the lifter either way. That's why I'm planning on replacing the cam and lifters. I want more power anyhow.
Who's "He" that also had the 402?

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 16, 08:11 AM
John

Garage

all 69 Camaros with 396s were 402. He drove his car for about 2 years and then it went flat on a couple lobes over just a few days driving. The lifter was worn down almost 1/4" and the cam lobe was wiped. He had kept tightening the lifter until the was no more adjustment. Oncew the surface hardness is gone it wheres very quickly.

I replaced the cam, lifters and springs for him. Installed a new flat tappet cam. We changed the oil and flushed the system. Started it ran for cam break in changed the oil and filter. Ran it again for about 30 minutes and changed the oil and filter again. 100 miles later changed oil again and had mo metal on the magnetic drain plug.

Here's the thread that has the pictures

https://www.camaros.net/forums/18-eng...am-lifter.html
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 16, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
all 69 Camaros with 396s were 402. He drove his car for about 2 years and then it went flat on a couple lobes over just a few days driving. The lifter was worn down almost 1/4" and the cam lobe was wiped. He had kept tightening the lifter until the was no more adjustment. Oncew the surface hardness is gone it wheres very quickly.

I replaced the cam, lifters and springs for him. Installed a new flat tappet cam. We changed the oil and flushed the system. Started it ran for cam break in changed the oil and filter. Ran it again for about 30 minutes and changed the oil and filter again. 100 miles later changed oil again and had mo metal on the magnetic drain plug.

Here's the thread that has the pictures

https://www.camaros.net/forums/18-eng...am-lifter.html
It wasn't until ~ July 69 that they started with the 402s. Prior to that they were 396 ci. All the "C" prefix blocks were the 30 over 396. My born with 396 is one of the C JF motors, so 402 ci. The cam went bad in that one back in ~85. I have it in my garage. Luckily everything, but the cam is perfect. The cam is now wall art...
I'm sure if I threw a cam and lifter set at it it would be fine, but I'm just trying to figure out what I should do. All the bigger ci motors around here are through the roof, junk or both it seems.

Semper Fi!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode