Oil Leaking . . . AGAIN - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 02, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Eric

If you guys remembered I had the rear main seal replaced on my 383 a couple months ago. The car was a mess under the chassis from the trans dust cover on back. It seemed fine for a while (hadn't really checked that close after the repair to be honest - I was confident that we got it), but I just noticed the oil is back and just as bad as before. I'm getting really po'd and I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Here's what I've done so far:

Replaced oil and trans dipsticks with the Lokar ones - verified they are sealed real good.

Replaced valve cover gaskets (2x to be sure) now have the solid core Felpro gaskets installed (the good ones)

Inspected the rear of the intake manifold - there are no drips at all in this area.

I put a paper towel "diaper" inside the dust cover and taped the drain hole shut to see if oil was or was not dripping from the rear main. There was none - it's dry inside.

The only place I can see even the slightest trail is from the oil filter down the side of the pan. I am changing the oil and filter today and will watch for it to come back. the old filter gasket looks fine and it was tight.

The oil under the car starts in the area of the dust cover, spreads out all over the trans oil pan and goes mostly down the passenger side of the car - cooking on the exhaust, dripping off the subframe connector and floor pan. this is driving me nuts - especially since I spent so much time getting the undercarriage perfect.

Thanks,

Eric

ps. i run that B&M blue colored tranny fluid, and I suppose it is POSSIBLE that if the tranny is leaking the blue fluid could be turning yellow from disolving the black undercoating, but I don't really think so.

------------------
68 Camaro with 383 small block. ET - 11.9's at 112 mph and never trailered.

The combo:

10.3:1 KB pistons, Eagle cast crank, 5.7" SIR rods.
Trick Flow 23* heads ported 2.055 intake, 1.6 exhaust.
Comp Cams 282s mechanical cam with 1.6 rockers.
Victor Jr intake and Holley O-3310 carb.
1-3/4" Hedman Headers, full length Flowmaster exhaust.
TH350 trans, 3000 stall, 3.55 gear.
CE subframe connectors, drag shocks, SSM lift bars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 02, 08:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
The only spot that was wet was the oil filter? Is there a second gasket stuck up there that hasn't been noticed. It'll leak like that. just a thought.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 02, 08:02 PM
Senior Tech

is it seeping out along the oil pan rail? the oil pressure sender behind the intake? head gasket(seen that once or twice)? front seal behind balancer?
give it a really good cleaning underneath, and take it out for a short spin and see where it all starts- before there is too much oil under there. this stuff can get aggravating in a hurry, and is almost always something that is cheap or free to fix.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 02, 04:20 AM
Senior Tech

My brother used one of those new Felpro
one piece oil pan gaskets on his 350 sb and it leaked around the "chrome" timing cover. He called Felpro and they laughed and said he should use a factory cover, that it wouldn't seal on the chrome one for whatever reason. He had to pull his fresh motor he had just put in and repalced the pan gasket with the old style seal, no leaks!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 02, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Eric

Am also using the Felpro 1 piece oil pan gasket. Its new from when we did the rear main. I DO have a chrome timing cover, but it doesn't seem to be leaking from there or the front seal.

NovaDerrick - please explain the head gasket idea for me . . . this is a real possibility - one that I haven't thought of. Where exactly would the head gasket leak oil? From the oil return holes in the back of the head? That would make it run down and off the oil filter, wouldn't it?

I'm also wondering if it could still be the valve covers. Maybe I should get some thick cork ones and seal it up with RTV. I noticed that the gasket seating surface on the heads is machined real smooth, maybe the gaskets I'm using don't work well with a smooth seating surface.

Thanks
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 02, 08:13 PM
Senior Tech

i really don't know WHY a head gasket would leak oil- it isn't under pressure as it drains back- but i have seen a few of them that seep it out along the edge. I guess it might have came from a valve cover or something, but i usually clean things up real nice when trying to find leaks like that, and have seen a couple that have no oil anywhere but along the bottom edge of the head gasket. engines can do weird stuff sometimes.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 02, 09:35 PM

I know this is a dumb question, but just to eliminate any weird possibilities, is the trans sealed up ok? My speedo sender was leaking pretty bad on my '69 4-speed and it tended to leak forward onto the lowest part of the trans when sitting, then back all the way along the bottom of the car to the back.
On my 4-sp at least, it looked a lot like engine oil until I found my trans level was going down all the time.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 02, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Eric

The trans is pretty good for the most part. I had a drip from the speedo cable, but think I have that fixed now. There was also a small drip from the trans rear seal, but both drips were obviously blue in color and the mess in definately yellow. Not to mention engine oil keeps going down, trans fluid is staying up.

I'm starting to suspect valve covers or head gasket like Derrik mentioned.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 02, 06:58 AM
Senior Tech

I had a similar situation with a brand new crate motor, same area and all. The issue with mine was the plug that covers the oil galley right above the oil filter. I had a hard time believing it was an issue, but I pulled it out, put some teflon on it, and screwed it back in, tightly. Fixed the issue.

Another point regarding the Lockar that you should be aware of, I have on on my car too (nice looking piece!). the installation instructins said to put a small amount of sealer on the base of the dipstick before installing it, which I did. I was out for a ride and let the car run at about 4k RPM for a few seconds (ten?) and a big puff of oil smoke came out. The cause was a loose header bolt where it connects the Lockar. The dipstick came out a little bit. I think the increased crankcase pressure when I was in the throttle forced the oil out, because the rest of the way home it didn't smoke. I tightened it back up, and it was fine. Something to keep in mind.

Mark

------------------
69 SS, ZZ430 Look-alike, Tremec TKO, Hotchkis Suspension
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 02, 07:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Send a message via AIM to Winch Send a message via MSN to Winch
The shop I use will put some kind of dye in the oil and use I think a black light (or some other kind of light) to spot where it's coming from. No idea how hard this would be to do at home.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 02, 08:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Yes, Eastwood also sells the kit, I believe.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 02, 08:16 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Clean off the engine and sprinkle it around the seals with talkum powder and run the car around town a bit. You can see where the oil is coming from fairly quickly. You smell a bit like a baby but that never bothered me. I have been a Mr Mom for 2 years.

-Mark.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 02, 11:28 AM
Senior Tech

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RickD:
Yes, Eastwood also sells the kit, I believe.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can buy this dye from Napa if you have a local Napa. Works great...Just buy a black light from Home Depot for $20 and you're all set.

Let me know if you want the NAPA part number. I've still got the empty bottle in the garage.

-gw
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 02, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
As stringr69 suggested talcum powder.

I use flour, works very well for me. Won't have to worry about smelling like a baby.

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 02, 12:32 PM
Senior Tech

Everett, I thought the flour was for the "big girls" ? LOL

I couldn't resist ! Sorry Eric68, good luck with the oil leak.

------------------
Drew

69' X-11 350, Turbo 350, Factory Air, PS, PB, 12 Bolt (410 gear) & NOT AN SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode