gas in the oil - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 02, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I have a 400sb that i rebuilt aout 5 years ago it was started and i broke the cam in,i drove it around the block a few times and it has been run a few times here and there since, because the car was being restored.It seems that when i start it it runs really rough at first and smokes real bad,after it runs for about five minutes or so it smoothes out and runs good.I noticed a strong smell of gas in the oil and it is overfull on the dipstick so its getting gas in the oil.I adjusted the valves with the engine running and reset the mixture..Does this sound like a valve adjustment or a carb problem?It has a Holley 650 on it and an Edelbrock Performer intake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 02, 04:28 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

flooded carb or blown fuel pump maybe. Check the fuel pump first.

-Mark.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 02, 04:35 PM

the holleys are known for their technical float adjustments.If any one has messed with them you should check to make sure that when youtake out the sight plug,you can see the top of the float just below the bottom of the sight hole.This is the level condition you should have.First make surethat you havea good quality fuel filter,because even a grain or twwo of sand can prevent a float needle from seating.
Also make surethat your fuel pump is mechanicaly sound ,A broken diaphragm can leak fuel into the crankcase when engine is sitting and/or running,.Make sure you change your oil after checking all ofthese things.I had a "friend"(noy really a friend)
blow the oilpan off the bottomof his engine.Now he had a 1991 buick with 285000 miles on his engine so their was a lot of blow by.I doubt very much youll have this problem.But youbetter change the oil anyway.
good luck
1984 camaro z28
355 sbc +.030
performer rpm
keith black pistons
stock rods
scat crank
100 shot nitrous
110 gph edelbrock fuel pump
world products 2166 2.02 heads
holley 4160 carb
crane cam 495 495 112
roller rockers
-4 degrees total
3.73 gears eaton posi 28 spline

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 02, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks,the fuel pump was new about two years ago,i guess from sitting it could have dried up.I'll try that and i have a carb off of a good running engine,maybe i'll swap it onto this one,change the oil and see what happens.I was really trying to rule out a valve problem.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 02, 10:48 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

You may need to replace the gaskets on the carb. If you had a slight fuel leak in the beginning, the gaskets could have dried out. I have heard that once they dry out, they never seal as good. I suspect you have a leak and the fuel in the float bowls is draining into the engine.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 02, 11:42 AM
David Pozzi

The top of the fuel pump diaphragm is vented and any fuel leakage would come out there before going into the fuel. there is an oil seal on the fuel pump rod to prevent oil from leaking out the same vent hole.

I'd suspect a carb float problem, either a sunk float, gasket, or adjustment problem.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode