Pertronix Ignitor? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 03, 02:39 AM Thread Starter

I am thinking about installing the Ignitor system in my 327 distributor. Does anyone have any experience with this product? I plan to run my old stock coil. My 327 is very slightly modified. I only upgraded the heads, installed a 262XE cam, and a four barrel intake but the exhaust manifolds remain. Should I consider the Ignitor II? Is there a simular system that is better (MSD)? I want everything to look stock and this seems like a good option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 03, 05:08 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

I have the older one, it has been in my car for about 4 years. I drive it every day at least 15,000 miles per year and no problems. I would recomend one. I understand they have a new model out I don't know anything about it though.

Joe

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 03, 05:30 AM
Senior Tech
Chad

I have installed several they work great. I would recomend their Flame Thrower coil also.It is blake just pull the sticker off and it looks stock.45,000 volts.

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 03, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

I got an email direct from someone that swears they are junk. I need more feedback. So far, two are for, one against. And thanks for the coil advice. What about an MSD equivalent?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 03, 12:06 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

MSD coil is fine. I cant speak for anyone else but I have one on my 67 & it works great. I have installed 4 on other cars with no problems one has been running for 2 years. That was black on the coil not blake.

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 03, 04:55 PM
Senior Tech

69 rag, do not use the pertronix 2! i installed one in my mild mod 327 and 200 miles from home it quit. Cost me 200 bucks to get home. The Pertronix 2 can not take the heat. I had the Pertronix 1 on my z and it worked great without any problems for 3 years until i sold it. With either unit you use i would at least carry the stock points and condenser with you so you can change it out if you break down, or a complete distributer to pop in.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 03, 04:59 PM

Angry

Have had the Petronix module for about a year.So far, there have been no problems. It is cheaper to install than the MSD system. Installed the Petronix coil and spark plug wires at the same time. Pleased with the whole set-up and hope if you go this way, you will have the same results as I have had. [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 03, 11:19 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

heres my experience, FWIW. i put the first design pertronix in my camaro after i got it, wanted a cheap stealth install. it worked much better than the points (what a surprise), but after about a month it just ceased to function. went out to start the car, nada. took it back, and they gave me another, it was slightly different. (must be 2nd design) put it on, and it never ran worth a crap. at that point i just picked up a junkyard HEI, freshened it up, and it ran best of any of them. i have since gone to a 6al and a pro billet, and won't be going back again. still have the hei as a backup though.

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 03, 04:05 AM

I have 3 cars with pertronix II and they all run great. Just follow the directions to a T. make the distributor end play within tolerances with no contact. Some times that means a little metal bending. I have had very good luck with them. That is the end of MSD for me.

Doug
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 03, 08:15 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

That direct e-mail you recieved might have come from someone that used to post here a few years ago. The product he makes looks to be a very nice one. Some of this will depend on what you are looking to spend. If you double (I could be wrong here)you can buy his product and get something that will work excellent and be somewhat stealthy. The advantage also is that if you break down in B.F.E, you most likely can get a part to fix it with. Pertronix's are getting more popular and I see them in alot of autoparts stores, but it's nothing compaired to O.E.M parts availibility.

I might buy one of his dist. soon, but just don't have the cash to outlay at the momment.

Joe [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 03, 09:30 AM
Senior Tech

I had two of them quit on me. It is possible that they were installed improperly, but I put on a ballast resistor and everything as needed.

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 03, 09:46 AM
Senior Tech

i thought the pertronix was designed for a full 12 volts? if you put one in, and don't bypass the original resistor wire, it might be prome to overheating and dying, due to lack of power. just like an HEI module will do. just a thought, and i could be wrong about the voltage requirements.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 03, 04:26 PM
Senior Tech

I am pretty sure that you need to use a ballast resistor with the petronix. I used to work in a speed shop and every time we sold one my boss told me to ask if they had a ballast resistor. I think that petronix ignition pieces are just prone to failure. Another similiar case is the Mallory unilite ignition system. Those fail ALL THE TIME, and it costs almost $100 a pop each time to replace the module.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 03, 04:36 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

My instructions if I remember right called for a ballast resistor.

Joe

-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 03, 01:17 PM
Tech Team

I purchased an Ignitor for my stock distributor. I learned if you rid the resistor wire and replace with solid wire for full 12 volts then you must use the flame thrower coil also or the ignitor will burn up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode