Maintaining roller cam end play on a big block - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 16, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Maintaining roller cam end play on a big block

I am looking for feedback on how to maintain proper roller cam end play when swapping out the timing cover on my big block Chevy. I have a chrome timing chain cover that is giving me a persistent leak where the cover meets the oil pan. I want to swap it out for a plain steel one that hopefully won't leak.The cam shaft end play was set with the chrome timing cover when the motor was built. It's easy to check and set end play while the motor is being built and the cam shaft is accessible. I don't want to loose the adjustment, but how do I check and duplicate it with the new cover installed on an assembled motor? There has to be tolerance differences between the two covers that could effect the adjustment.We are talking about 4-5 thousandths, about the thickness of a sheet of paper. Too much clearance and the cam will walk forward and retard the timing;too little clearance and the cam gear will kill the distributor drive gear.The cam button is a roller type. I can't be the only one who has ever run into this.I welcome all advice and experience. Thanks in advance.

1969 SS Garnet Red X55 350 Factory 4 speed
12 Bolt 3.55 Posi
461 BBC TKO600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 16, 07:55 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Re: Maintaining roller cam end play on a big block

Matt, the only way to go is a 2-piece cover.

This one is from Comp Cams and there is a hole that is used for measuring assembled cam end play. (It has an allen plug of course)

Edit: The outer cover does not use a gasket, it is a precision machined fit. It does not leak. The inner piece uses a stock BBC gasket and seal.

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't mess with Texas!

Last edited by ZZ_430; Aug 31st, 16 at 08:06 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 16, 03:47 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

I know a buddy who did a "home brew fix" by drilling a hole in a stock cover, welding a nut to his cover, and installing a bolt and jam nut.

Down and dirty, but worked.

Otherwise, you'll need to check, measure, and shim as needed.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 16, 07:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

I use the same type of rigid cover as above from Cloyes, using the same type of end button. I also use the hex-adjust gear.

Quick Button? | Cloyes Gear & Products, Inc.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 16, 07:59 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

You could use a machinist straight edge (a good tool to have in your tool chest) and a dial indicator or a caliper to measure the difference in depth from the face of the timing cover to the center of the cam gear depression you can add or subtract shims as needed.

I also use a three piece cast aluminum cover as they are stronger than a stamped steel one (that will probably require a washer welded inside to stiffen it up to resist deflecting with a roller cam and a high volume oil pump), and I often change cams on a dyno to optimize an engine build. If you consider dyno time per hour and the cost of the three piece cover they look a lot more attractive.

Big Dave
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 16, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larger Dave View Post
You could use a machinist straight edge (a good tool to have in your tool chest) and a dial indicator or a caliper to measure the difference in depth from the face of the timing cover to the center of the cam gear depression you can add or subtract shims as needed.

I also use a three piece cast aluminum cover as they are stronger than a stamped steel one (that will probably require a washer welded inside to stiffen it up to resist deflecting with a roller cam and a high volume oil pump), and I often change cams on a dyno to optimize an engine build. If you consider dyno time per hour and the cost of the three piece cover they look a lot more attractive.

Big Dave
Thanks Big Dave. Your first response was kind of what I was considering as being a possibility. The three piece covers are nice, but I am interested in the stock look (sleeper). Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Please keep them coming. Matt.

12 Bolt 3.55 Posi
461 BBC TKO600
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 16, 03:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt 69 View Post
Thanks Big Dave. Your first response was kind of what I was considering as being a possibility. The three piece covers are nice, but I am interested in the stock look (sleeper). Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Please keep them coming. Matt.
Hang on. The stock factory stuff didn't address close tolerance control. On the production line it wasn't an issue. If you want the sleeper-look then I fear you're trying to accomplish machining with a @urd. Just what are you looking to do with nothing?

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 16, 04:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Long ago before all the bling cover boom, all we used under a stock cover was the aluminum cam button, that was the only thick then. We all didn't have roller cams or Crower needle roller cams etc. Simple aluminum cam button, It was the best for poor folks.

Is that what you are looking for?

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 16, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Ficarra View Post
Hang on. The stock factory stuff didn't address close tolerance control. On the production line it wasn't an issue. If you want the sleeper-look then I fear you're trying to accomplish machining with a @urd. Just what are you looking to do with nothing?
Sorry Fred, you lost me. All I was trying to do was maintain the end play adjustment from one cover to another. What Big Dave said made sense and was what I was trying to do. My "stock" look was a achieved by using a brand new steel Milodon replacement cover. The two and three piece covers are nice and do make the process easy but, as I said earlier, I am not looking for anything fancy. Thank you for your feed back. I do appreciate your response.

12 Bolt 3.55 Posi
461 BBC TKO600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode