Turbo 350 Slipping??? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 01, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Question

Ok, I have a healthy 454 in a '68 with a Turbo 350. The motor is producing somewhere in the neighborhood of 600HP according to desktop dyno. I just put this tranny in which I bought from a close friend that I trust. I replaced the tranny because the TH350 that was in it seemed to be slipping in 3rd gear and very slow to shift from 2nd to 3rd and also had a lot of clutch material in the pan and since I didn't really know the original condition of this tranny I figured it was just spent. I had my 3500 stall split and cleaned/inspected at my local tranny shop as to preclude introducing any previous clutch material/garbage into newly rebuilt tranny. Well This tranny seems to be OK but it still wants to slip a bit in 3rd gear when I power up. Seems to hold OK in 1st and 2nd, but when cruising down freeway and romp it tach climbs to about 5K and feels like slippage again. Also still slow to shift from 2nd to 3rd. Common factor to both situations is that passing gear linkage was not hooked on either. And same torque converter. I've heard that passing gear cable has an effect on pressures in the TH350's. Any tranny experts out there have any advice?? I know that this tranny isn't really built to handle this kind of power but I'm saving my pennies to buy a really built one from TransKing or ATI or someone like that. Is it possible that I just have too much motor for a stock TH350?? I figured it would be ok for a while but just wouldn't last that long. I have a feeling it is something simple right under my nose and I just don't know it. HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 01, 08:04 PM
WE4
Tech Team

Not having the kickdown cable hooked up is detrimetal to this trans particularly in your situation. It boosts line pressure to assist in hold for full throttle upshifts and line pressure rise. Also full throttle upshifts will be effected. It's great that you have found your problem however the damage is already done. You may end up with another rebuild. Next time if you go MVB you can not use the cable but line pressure is always up. Down side... You always have to shift.....

Bruce
WE4

------------------
Thank You
WE4
Bruce Toelle
Performance Transmissions
"WE GOT THE 2004R PARTS!"
www.ptsnctb.com
[email protected]
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 01, 06:46 AM

I had a th350 rebuilt also. And I found the same problems as you are having or had. But My was also slipping outta drive back to second all the time. So I took it back up to the shop and he looked at it. See what I Forgot to do was flush out the coolant lines. And there was a little peice of something getting in there and blocking something, I forget what he said. But after he took the little pliece of metal out that was blocking what ever, it did the trick.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 01, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Red face

Well I've only run this tranny for a couple of days so I hope the damage isn't already done as you stated. Can I pull out the cable and keep it in the open position for full pressure all the time and just leave it that way? Will I still have automatic features? Or can I run it this way at all? I have a nitrous activation switch at the left rear of the carb right in the way of where the kickdown cable should mount and I don't know if I'll be able to get the kickdown cable in that area or not. If I go manual valve body, will it still downshift on its own when slowing down or will I have to manually do that to? I understand motors a lot better than I do tranny's and drive trains that's for sure. LOL
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 01, 06:56 PM
WE4
Tech Team

MVB you will have to shift. And no on pulling out the cable. Will not shift right.
Sounds like you should have mvb though. and the guy with a piece of contamination in cooler line doesn't help but should not cause your problem.
Bruce
WE4

------------------
Thank You
WE4
Bruce Toelle
www.ptsnctb.com
[email protected]
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 01, 06:57 PM
WE4
Tech Team

Also.... I would bet it is already hurt.......
Sorry just being honest
Bruce
WE4

------------------
Thank You
WE4
Bruce Toelle
www.ptsnctb.com
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode