LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 04, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Question

Hi all,

I'm a little out of my territory here but I wanted to get some
advice on something. I'm engaged, we're getting married 08/05 and
going to buy a house in early spring of 06'...so this is where I
need help. My fiance', Steve, has a dream to have a fixer upper
Camaro (he wants a 66' to a 69')because he says (and he's right)
that all the fun of it is fixing it up yourself, making it your own
you know. But right now we live in an apartment so he's let go of
the dream...saying it's pointless to get one now when he can't work
on it, and he's right. And he says that there's no way we can get
one when we buy a house because we won't have the funds, and he's
right about that too. So I've devised a plan because I really want
him to have this, it would make him SO happy. So I'm secretly
saving a little bit at a time, and hopefully I'll have around $2000
by the time we get a house. It's not much but its something I
hope. Shortly after we get a house, I want to find a fixer upper
and just leave it in the garage for him to find. So this is where I
need some input (please!), will I be able to find a Camaro to fix up
in the $2000 range? I know some about cars but not as much as I'd
like (not afraid to dig in and figure stuff out), but since I'll be
the one looking at the cars, what type of things should I look out
for? Any key areas or questions I should ask the seller? What
things should I pay attention to when looking at the engine/body?
Now I know there will be problems with it since what I can afford
will truly be a TLC needy car, and I know the basics, check the
frame, looks for leaks, check the fluids for metal shavings and
stuff, but what else do I need to know to be ready to get him a
car? Sorry this is so long, but it's really important to me and I
figured you guys would be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks so much!!!

Darian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 04, 11:19 AM

Darian,

One of the problems with our cars is the popularity..

That said and plain old age has kept prices high..

I doubt if you can come up with anything for that small a sum. And if you do find something, be aware that rust may just make a cheap car core not worth rebuilding after you factor in replacing sheetmetal..

I will say that it is now possible to make a complete '69 Camaro using no GM parts at all b/c of the now available "body-cab" or "center section" re-pop that came out, I think last month..

AND the same guys that got together to re-pop the '69 are going to re-pop the '67/'68 body core too, probably around the first quarter of next year if I read the story right??

pdq67

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 04, 11:35 AM
Senior Tech

At best you might be able to get a rolling shell for that price but it would need just about everything and end up costing more than buying one that is done.

I would suggest either saving for a while longer or unless you can finance one and put the money down on it.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 04, 11:46 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Theres always a deal out there somewhere, but you will have to find it yourself. You won't find one advertised and sitting in a dealers lot for that amount of money. You may happen across one in the little old ladies (or man's) garage somewhere. Keep your eyes open when driving around and perhaps tell a few people that don't run in the same circles as your fiance that you are looking for a first generation Camaro. you may run across someone that knows someone that has one for sale. Never know what, or where you'll find one.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 04, 12:08 PM
Senior Tech
Craig

With all that said if you happen across a 66 Camaro at any price please let me know as i would like to buy it. Im thinking it would be a pretty rare car, maybe 1 of 1. Just pulling your leg. Your post said 66-69 and they didnt make them in 66. Anyway, to the point...these guys are right its gonna be real tough to find anything in that $ range that you wont have to put a ton of money into. Basically you would get a frame and maybe not even a good one at that. My suggestion would be to just save a little longer and save yourself a lot of aggrevation and money in the long run. I know thats probably not what you wanted to hear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 04, 12:50 PM
Senior Tech

IMHO, I'd worry about starting your life together first. Something that would be fun for both of you (I hope) is getting familiar with the swap meet scene in your area. Let you friends know your interested in a Camaro. More than likley you won't find what you're looking for, it will find you. Someday when you least expect it, someone will approach you and say "I heard you were looking for a Camaro". Be prepared to spend a couple of years searching. Plan to double or tripple your $2K. $10K isn't unreasonable for a Camaro - you'll either spend it up front or in parts and labor on a dud. I'm afraid your hubby would be burned out before he got the $2K car up to the $10K level.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 04, 01:05 PM
Senior Tech
Craig

10k...or 20k...or30k...

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 04, 03:58 PM

He, He!!

I donno about there not being any '66 Camaro's b/c I got mine in Dec., '66!!

I know what you mean but I just had to...

pdq67

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 04, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all for the advice, looks like I'll be holding out for a while. LMFAO about the year...told you I was out of my territory!!! I thought of a good contact for when I have some more money towards it, a friend of ours and her husband buy classic junkers and fix them up to show quality. So I know I can ask her to keep a look out for a good deal, I just hope she won't tell him! I hope that something just falls together, he's had such a rough year in some areas and he deserves so much...I just want to do something for him that will really make him smile. He's having to sell his first baby (94'Firehawk) so we can buy a house, I just want to give him something that I know he'll love more then words can say for giving up so much to give the 3 of us a good life. Again, thanks everyone for the advice...I'll save everything I can and hope to find a good deal someday...so if anyone one of you know hear of one being sold in 06' in Detroit let me know...lol...thanks guys!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 04, 05:05 PM
Senior Tech
Craig

Sounds like hes a pretty lucky guy to have someone like you who wants to do that for him...Best of luck with your camaro quest and your marriage.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 04, 05:27 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Agree with all here, its like looking for "Deal Of the Century." But, they are out there, keep the nose to the ground.

I believe it is good for you, the soon-to-be bride having an interest in his interests. Does/Will he return the attention to your interests? This is what makes a marriage lasting.

Good luck.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 04, 05:47 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

Darian,

I know the Camaro is the dream, but sometimes reality slaps us in the face! LOL!

Perhaps you could look into a Nova of the same era? The Camaro and Nova are very similar and share a ton of interchangable parts. A 68-74 Nova would be WAY less expensive than a Camaro so if you guys want to have something to play with now, it may be a good option. The old Camaros have skrocketed in price in just the last few years with no end in sight.

Just a thought....

69 Camaro, 3650lbs., 400ci, TH400, Coan 10" converter, 3.50 gear
D1SC, pump gas, 9:1, 10 PSI, Water/Meth injection
1.325 60', 5.988 @ 115.4 (carb)
Switched to Super Sniper EFI 2019
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 04, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

Actually Greg I have given a Nova some thought, and believe it or not I found one about 20 miles from here for $2500. It's an old ladies and she doesn't drive anymore so she decided to sell it. Too bad I don't have the money for it now! I personally love both cars, Nova's and Camaro's. Granted I don't fully understand the mechanics of how to fix engines and such, but I'm a speed junkie to boot! Lost my license once because of it...oops!

Everett, he always has shown interest/supports me in everything I do. We've been best friends for 5 years now (together about 1 1/2 yrs.) so we have a good solid foundation I think. We have a lot in common but also have differences, I will never enjoy screaming at a ref that can't hear me on football sunday...lol...I'm a woman, what can I say!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 04, 07:03 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Darion, don't buy a house if you are planning on restoring and old car. Buy a garage/shop with an attached house. Like the others said, for 2K, not much out there that would not cost an arm and a leg to fix up. I would use the 2K you have as a start for a future purchase. Take your time and you will find one. For now, get a sign made for the garage that says "THIS SPACE RESERVED FOR A CAMARO" and hang it before he sees it. As for Steve, lucky guy. The "wife" wants to get him a hot rod. You can tell you are "in love". My wife hopes I would choke on mine.

Daddy's Hot Rod.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode