Alternator Braket used when installing headers - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 01, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Garage
Question

I have a 1967 camaro that has the alternator bolt onto the exhaust manifold. But when I remove the original exhaust manifold for headers, I have nothing to bolt the alternator too. Do they sell headers with this braket welded to it so the alternator can be bolted to it? Or is there some special braket? I have ordered alternator brakets before and I am having a hard time finding the correct bracket. If anyone could send me a picture of the braket or a website where I could buy or see the braket I need for my application I would really appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 01, 07:20 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

If you have accessory holes on the front of the cylinder heads you may want to check out an early 1980's Corvette mount. It's super solid and still available from GM.

------------------
The Red Beast http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 01, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

There is a bracket bolting to cylinder #1. It straddles the pipe and has fore-and-aft movement to align the belt(s).

Hooker, I'm sure sells it, as I got one with my Super Comps & comps'.

Look in Summit's catalog, or go on-line to their store.

Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 01, 07:56 AM
Tech Team
Steve

The quick fix...go to Autozone's chrome isle and the bracket is there (It says alternator bracket for Chevy headers). I've seen a bracket that bolts to the front of the head. I heard it's a big block alternator bracket, but I have not been able to verify that information or look at it more closely. I saw one used on a show car that had a small block 350 with headers.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 01, 10:22 AM
Senior Tech
Don

Thumbs up

Yeah, I just bought and installed that bracket yesterday. It works fine and in chrome it looks good. It bolts to the two header bolts right there at cylinder no. 1.
Donnie
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 01, 05:30 PM

I had that same problem when installing my headers. i got that same bracket you were talking about and it worked ok till one of the header bolts broke. i had to stabilize the whole thing with another bracket, the long arm that bolts to the water pump. also get some longer header bolts for the 1 and 2 holes, that helps too

clark
1967 RS/SS T56, edelbrock, etc
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 01, 05:56 PM
Tech Team

Talking

You don't say which side you want the alternator to be on? Or short water pump or long water pump. Brackets range from $10 to $175. I used a March bracket ($100 from Summit) for my passenger side one-wire Powermaster alternator with a long water pump. Very trick, and lined up perfectly. Here's a pic!
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewP...p=41827547&f=0

I also know several people that have the ZOOPS bracket, although I wouldn't reccomend it unless you need lots of adjustment for your pulleys and such. It is very expensive but does look cool. I have never had much luck with the cheaper Mr.Gasket / TD type brackets. Hope this helps,
MStarmer
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 01, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Garage
MStarmer,

Thanks for the reply, I really like the way that alernator mounts. Except my alternator mounts to the drivers side exhaust manifold and I have a short water pump. Do you know if they make brackets like the one you have for my application?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 01, 01:09 PM
Tech Team

Lightbulb

I know zoops has one that will set you up for a short waterpump on the drivers side. $150+ I believe. I does have quite a bit of adjustment/alignment for belts and such. It does make it rather hard to check your power steering fluid if equipped.
MStarmer
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 01, 08:26 PM
Senior Tech
Ray

Vintage Air makes a nice bracket for drivers side altenator with a short water pump, $98 I think. I have one and it works great, very solid setup.

Ray
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 01, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Garage
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 68SSConvt:
Vintage Air makes a nice bracket for drivers side altenator with a short water pump, $98 I think. I have one and it works great, very solid setup.

Ray
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where can I order one of these brackets from? Thanks for the info.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 01, 07:49 AM
Senior Tech
Ray

1-800-TO-COOL-U / (800) 862-6658 http://www.vintageair.com/vintage.htm is the website. Goto "Compressors" and then to "Compressors/Altenator Brakets".

The one I have is PN: 15810-VCB towards the bottom of the page. The price isn't listed, but it was about $98 when I got mine years ago.

I recently bought the matching bracket for a Sanden compressor and it was still the same price. Both look and work great. (Don't forget to paint before installing so it won't rust.)

Ray

[This message has been edited by 68SSConvt (edited 07-29-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode