Timing - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 04, 04:14 AM Thread Starter

I need some help guys. Im not too sure how to time my motor. I bought a 69 Camaro with a 350 that someone else bult. The cam in it seems to be a mid to large cam but theres no way of really knowing. I have the distributor put in correctly and everything all hooked up right. It has a mallory HEI and a fluid dampener. Im just not too sure how to set the intial timing and to fine tune it. I dont really know where to start with it. Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 04, 10:01 AM

Set your timing to 34 total, that should give you about 10 or 12 initial. Make sure your not idling in the advance curve. For instance, if your idle is at 900 rpms and the timing is trying to advance at that rpm you will have an erratic jumpy idle. That mallory distributor should have came with some different advance springs but if you dont have them you should buy a curve kit. Its ideal to have your total adance in before or at 3000 rpms. Dont worry to much about where your initial timing is at, as long as it doesnt ping or bog down the starter. It should be around 10-12 with your total at 34. Your fluid dampener should have timing marks on it, so mark off 34 if you dont have a access to a dial-back timing light.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 04, 10:04 AM

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 04, 11:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

lol... can we have that in english, nitrous?

First things first, does it start and idle stable enough to do this? or are we "starting" from scratch?

To do it halfway right, you'll need a timing light and a vacuam guage, gottem?

If no to both, let us know, we can muddle though it regardless.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 04, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Id really love it in English also. It seems like a pretty good description, but I have never been good at this. It will start but it turns over alot. Sometimes the starter wont even turn the engine over at all. Ive heard timing will do this. I thought maybe that my starter was bad at one time, but I hope its just timing. I have a timing light and a timing marker with a degree'd fluidampener. The distributor I bought was installed the same way it came from Summit Racing. It has a advance kit in it, but I dont know where it opens up at.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 04, 03:44 PM

hehe, sorry fellas I was in a hurry
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 04, 04:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

ok, as long as it does run. If it cranks slow, then you have too much initial advance...Loosen the distributor, and turn it counterclockwise, so the hose on the vacuam can goes toward the firewall about half an inch. It should start easier.

Here is a link to a post I did for fun a few days ago, ignore the rejetting the carb part, I went through initial timing and idle speed and mixture in detail.

https://www.camaros.net/forum/ultimat...c/9/12781.html

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 04, 04:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

hmmm... re reading that, I kinda glossed over the timing part...

Get it running and fully warmed up.

To set initial timing, you have to disconnect the vacuam advance. With the engine idling, Pull the hose from the carb/manifold, stick your finger on the end of the port. If it's sucking hard, hook your vacuam guage up here. If it's not, plug it, and find a manifold vacuam source to hook up your guage, and do it. Hook up your timing light.

Check your timing and idle rpm. We don't know what it wants, cause I don't know what's in it. It will want between 10 and 16 degrees of inititial timing, at an idle rpm low enuf so the mechanical advance doesn't start yet.

If you rev it a bit with the light on it, you'll see the marks move as the advance kicks in.

Adjust the idle speed, try to get 700-900 rpm, this will depend on your cam. get it stable.

Set the timing. It's gonna take some playin with. Much more than 14 degrees, it'll be hard to crank over. Lock the distributor, hook the vacuam advance back up.

It's an ongoing discussion whether to use manifold or ported vacuam. I presonally prefer mainfold. "ported" vacuam will advance only at cruising speeds, manifold vacuam advances at idle, too.

Start adjusting your idle mixture screws. One at a time, not more than 1/8 turn at a time, watch the rpm's and vacuam guage. As you lean the idle, vacuam will rise, when you're too lean, the rpm's will drop, readjust the idle speed if you need to. As you get closer to "Happy motor" gradually reduce idle speed to the lowest it will stay stable. Watch the vacuam guage, needle will start bouncing around when idle speed is lower than the cam will tolerate. If it's an automatic, you may want someone to stand on the brake so you can do this final peaking in gear.

Drive the car. See how it "feels." Pay close attention, listen for part throttle ping. If it pings, or cranks slow, pull the timing back a little.

Too much advance= slow cranking, pinging when you accelerate lightly or move the gas pedal.

Too little advance= sluggish , especially at low rpm's.

Too lean= unstable idle

Too rich= smelly

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode