adjusting rockers - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 02, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

ok i built a 327 about 2 weeks ago and have been driving it i decided to re-adjust the rockers today i did the driver side of the engine with no problems and then i took the passenger side valve cover off and cranked the car one rocker was shooting oil a mile high so i tightend it down some and it didnt help at all does anyone have any idea what this could be. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 02, 07:29 AM
Senior Tech

Oil is supposed to come up through the pushrod and spray like that. I don't know about a full 5,280 feet, but it's certainly designed to make a mess with the valve cover off.

Basically, the pushrod is hollow to provide an oil passage up to the rocker arm and valve springs.

I guess the better question is why you didn't see any oil spraying when you did the driver's side.

-gw
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 02, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

oil was spraying on the drivers side but it wasnt soakin the side of the car and the engine compartment

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 02, 05:35 PM
Senior Tech

Oil shooting all over the place is good. buy ya a set of clip on oil defelectors, not blockers, and enjoy setting your rockers with very little mess.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 02, 03:18 AM
Guess

Could the pushrod/rocker that's shooting oil a mile like that just be tightened down a lot more than the others? If just one or two are really shooting oil like a squirt gun, would that be the lifter getting pumped up more than properly or loosely adjusted rockers?
I'm just wondering how that could happen because I've never seen them squirt like that. I always start with all the rockers loose then adjust from scratch. Would backing off the rockers that are shooting oil a mile and re-adjusting them stop it? Or is there something I'm not thinking of?

------------------
Joe
WCA Member
1969 Wallet Crusher
- [email protected]
- [email protected]
My neverending project!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 02, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

i loosened both of them up and readjusted them it doesnt make any difference and i even changed the push rods thinking 2 of them might be bent or something and the lifters and the cam are not even 2 weeks old.has anyone ever had any problems with crane lifters
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 02, 10:45 AM
Senior Tech
Bob

They're SUPPOSED to pump oil. Don't fix what isn't broke.Don't rev the car when adjusting the rockers, do it at idle.Did you put an HV/HP oil pump in that motor when you rebuilt it? Don't over tighten the rockers trying to stop the oil flow. It is O.K. As mentioned, just buy a set of oil deflector cilps and stop worrying.Take the clips off when you're done.

------------------
Bob
Garnet Red 69/SS396/TH400/355 Posi
94 HD Dyna Wideglide

[This message has been edited by phel69 (edited 08-02-2002).]
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 02, 11:12 AM
Senior Tech

i have used a piece of cardboard in the past to stop the oil from running all over the place when adjusting the valves, but i got sick of that. i cut a pair of valve covers in half and bent the top edge up to make a custom fit oil deflector for a small block- and they work great. i just put both of the "half a valve covers" on, and start the thing up and adjust the rockers till they stop clattering. then i shut it off and turn them all down 1/2 turn more. every now and then, there is a one or two rockers that spit more oil than the rest, but i believe that to be normal.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode