Cam bearings & new go faster goodies - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 16, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Cam bearings & new go faster goodies

This week I'll be installing new Brodix aluminum heads and a new cam. I'm not planning on pulling the motor, but I can if I need to. What are your thoughts on my cam bearings? I have 60# of oil pressure and there are not any scratches on the bearing surfaces that you can feel. Is the worn look of them anything I should be concerned with? They were replaced in 2012.

'69 SS396 X66 L34 08D M21 BS
460ci Gen VI 9.75:1 AED 950 carb
241/249 @ .050" .625/.625 110 LSA

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 16, 11:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Re: Cam bearings & new go faster goodies

Someone can correct me, but that bottom bearing wear is from the valve train and that leads to heads spring pressure.
You didn't mention what valve spring pressure are running , but if ifs excessive, say 160-200 valve seat pressure, you might replace them, but you may have to pull the motor for that since you need to get into the ones in the rear.

I would offer you a suggestion to drill you a hole or two into those galley plugs, this would provide better cam gear oiling.
Actually , GM did this on bbc motors long ago to keep the air out of the valve train system, where people complained of noisy lifters or rocker arms.
Opps, do I see a plug with a hole in it?

Make sense?

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 16, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Thanks Don. That does make sense. The heads are just stock 148 truck heads with 2.06/1.72 valves. The springs are stock specso, so not a ton of pressure.

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 16, 02:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bryon

The cam bearings don't look that bad, but as always, you have to consider everything. I guess personally, if you have things torn down that far already, I would pull it out and put it on an engine stand. Then check the bottom end over, plus replace the cam bearings.

And make sure you have springs to match the cam. Those changes should really wake that engine up.

I am curious on your cam choice, what are the specs?

Good luck.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 16, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcm66 View Post
The cam bearings don't look that bad, but as always, you have to consider everything. I guess personally, if you have things torn down that far already, I would pull it out and put it on an engine stand. Then check the bottom end over, plus replace the cam bearings.

And make sure you have springs to match the cam. Those changes should really wake that engine up.

I am curious on your cam choice, what are the specs?

Good luck.
Glad to hear you say that. I had it on the stand in June and when I looked close at the bearing surfaces and ran my fingers over them, they felt smooth. I put about 1,000 miles on it this summer and they haven't gotten any worse. The 60# of oil pressure tells me they can't be too bad. I guess I'm just trying to get away with not having to drop the block off at a machine shop or even changing them myself right now if I don't really have too. The lower end is tight so I don't want to waste money there right now.
I'm not sure on the cam specs yet. I should be picking up the heads from the machine shop tomorrow night. I'll base my cam decision on that. I'll post them up as soon as I know.

Semper Fi!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode