SB to BB swap - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 04, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

Garage
I have the option of replacing a 350 points ignition with a 454 with HEI from a 74 Chevy truck into my 68 camaro conv. I know I will need to replace springs, motor mounts, radiator, cross member, clutch and install new poly bushings. Iím looking for comment on things to look out for in prep for this winters project. The Camaro has frame connectors manual brakes and no AC. The engine is bolted through a blow-proof bell housing to a Top loader 4 speed. I have to remove the 350 due to blown main seal and possible blown head gasket. All pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bob
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 04, 05:03 PM

Ah, Top-Loader four speed!! Good tranny..

Frame mounts and make sure you have the correct rubber motor mounts. I went full poly everywhere!! BB Z-bar.

Don't worry about the cross-member and just use the center hole in the poly tranny mount that I suggest you get..

And be careful selecting a carb. and intake b/c my Holley Strip Dom. single plane with a Holley 3310-2 that still has it's choke horn won't allow my stock, SS hood to close..

AND my Heddman Hedder 1.75" four tube, long headers PN 68190 fit fine!!

Yes, the nit-picking things are soo much fun... Doing it all now after too many years of looking at it..

pdq67

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 04, 02:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

big blocks are cool, but your 350 probably put out way more power than that particular 454... at least if it's stock. You'll need to research accessory brackets and mountings, stuff on the motor now might not work, or put alternator on the wrong side, stuff like that.

Be sure to change the frame mounts or the clutch won't work and the headers won't fit.

heater hoses are gonna be tight to impossible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 04, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

Garage
Thanks!
This is why I asked the question here first. Before I started the project and to see what others have encountered along the way.

Thanks again
[img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]
Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode