28 vs 30 Spline Axles - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 00, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I have a 8.5" rear end in my '68 that came out of a '74 Nova. The housing is straight, but I've discovered that the axle flange is bent on one side. I've been wanting to upgrade to aftermarket axles anyway, so now's the time. I've heard that the '90 and later 8.5" rears came with 30 spline axles; mine has 28 spline. Would it be possible for me to switch over to 30 spline by taking the axle and "spider" gears out of a rear that has 30 spline axles and put them in mine ? Are 30 spline axles much stronger than the 28's ? Also, can anyone recommend a good brand ? I'm not looking for top of the line racing axles, just something better than stock in the $200 - $250 range. Thanks, Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 00, 02:24 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

The '90 up 8.5 does have 30 spline axles and they are stronger. To change over you need to replace the differential unit. The axle and pinion gears are different and will not fit into the 28 spline case. The 30 spline standard units are easy to find in pickup trucks. Don't use the truck limited slip because it has too many fragile parts in it for a Camaro. The Impala SS and Caprice police cars had Auburn posi units in them. For a new posi buy a Eaton. www.eatonposi.com

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 00, 04:12 PM

Thumbs up

Now, this is what I call interchange!!! pdq67

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 00, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks big gear head ! Knowing now what you told me, I'll probably stay with the 28 spline axles. I have a 2.73 gear right now, but it's not too bad for street driving with the low first gear of the 700R4 that I have (makes it like 3.31 with a TH350). I've already got a 3.73 GM eaton posi unit that is 28 spline that I'm going to put in later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode