Installing a engine - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 16, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Lane

Installing a engine

Hello, putting in a 454 with powerglide, Is it a good idea to install together or separate? No hood, off the ground 2ft, I am using that pulling plate you install where the carb is.

1967 Camaro RS 327/PG
1969 Camaro 327/M20
1969 Camaro 454/PG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 16, 09:23 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

Re: Installing a engine

I used the lifting plate with grade 8 bolts to lift a 454 engine and TH400 transmission into my 67 Camaro. I don't see how you are going to use a cherry picker (engine lift) with your car already 2' in the air. Not unless you have a lift like this one. Northern Industrial Adjustable Portable Gantry Crane — 3,000-Lb. Capacity | Gantry Cranes| Northern Tool + Equipment
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 16, 05:45 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

I've done a SBC motor only and it was a pain by myself about 8 times in my 68. Even with help, I don't see a BBC w/ trans being an easy task if you're going in through the top.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 16, 06:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

If not already done, I'd suggest you remove the valance and radiator support and make sure the legs on your lift are going to clear whatever is holding your car up. I would install both together.

69 SS, 350/300 h.p., M-20, 12 bolt, matching numbers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 16, 06:42 AM
Senior Tech
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by faslane View Post
Hello, putting in a 454 with powerglide, Is it a good idea to install together or separate? No hood, off the ground 2ft, I am using that pulling plate you install where the carb is.
I've done it several times even with a BB/TH400. It's all abut the angle of the dangle.

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't mess with Texas!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 16, 03:41 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

You do not have to remove the header panel. You do have to have the radiator out of the car. I would suggest you install the transmission first. Put blocks under the transmission pan so its close to normal installed height or angled just a bit higher and then install the engine. Be sure you have the flex plate installed on the crankshaft and the torque converter installed in the trans before you put the engine in.

The torque converter is keyed. Put a little grease on the input shaft and a little grease on the seal. Slide the converter in the input shaft, rotate it until it sides all the way in. Once you have the engine and transmission mated you will slide the converter back about out an inch or so to meet with the flex plate.

Good luck with your project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode