Idling Too Fast? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 04, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Cameron

I have a 69 Camaro with a 400sb with Trick Flow heads, Performer RPM intake, Comp 282s cam, 1 5/8" headers, and a 750cfm vacuum secondary Holley. This car also has cowl induction that pulls outside air in all the time. When the weather starts to get cooler, the idle speed goes up. Right now, I am idling at 1500 RPM most of the time. Sometimes it idles at 900 RPM, just like I want. The throttle linkage is not binding or sticking. I leaned the mixture screws out and that made the idle more eratic and made the car much more jerky when idling around in gear. I can back the idle speed adjustment screw all the way out and I still get a very high idle, most of the time. I am thinking that I am sucking alot of air somewhere, but I have yet to figure out where. Any ideas on what I need to look at next?

49 Chevy 3100 Project
Acro Sport II Biplane
69 Camaro
400 Small Block
AutoGear M22 4 Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 04, 10:41 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Check the secondaries. They may be opened up a little too much. They were on my 750 Vac/sec. You have to remove the carb to get at the adjusting screw. Close the secondaries and turn the screw just enough to crack them open to see light through the bore. This will ensure they don't bind when opening. Another thing to check would be the spring you are using in the secondaries. Sometimes (if you are using a really weak spring)you have to go to a firmer spring to keep them closed and the idle stabil.
Jim
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 04, 10:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Where does your choke get it's heat from? is it open all the way? Maybe you're stuck on the last step of the fast idle cam?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 04, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Cameron

I have never adjusted the secondaries and I have had the carb since new. But, I do have the weakest secondary spring that you can put in there, and there is no bog when the secondaries open up. I will check and see if they are staying closed tomorrow. Is there any other way to keep the secondaries closed other than installing a firmer spring?

I thought of the choke too, but it is opening all the way and the fast idle cam is retracting with it.

49 Chevy 3100 Project
Acro Sport II Biplane
69 Camaro
400 Small Block
AutoGear M22 4 Speed
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 04, 04:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

There is a secondary throttle stop screw. You can only get at it with the carb off... I would think it would cause an internittent problem tho, or any problem at all unless something is binding in the linkage.

To rule out the secondary's, take the rod off (from the vac can to the throttle plate) and drive it, see if the problem goes away.

** your symptom sure does sound like the choke's cooling off, and engaging just enuf to get u on the first fast idle step...

Get under the hood WHEN ITS HAPPENING, shouldn't be too tough to find whats hanging up... what do you have to push or pull on to make the idle drop back down?

If it's not linkage or choke related, next thing to look at would be a vacuam leak...

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 04, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Cameron

That's a good idea to check the secondaries out. My choke is electric so I don't have linkage running inside the car to worry about. I was under the hood a few days ago while this was happening and the choke was open all the way and the fast idle cam was completely retracted. I will check again though. For some reason, its been good today, but it has been warmer. It seems to idle fast when it is cooler outside. I'll check the secondaries out sometime this weekend and report back what I find.

49 Chevy 3100 Project
Acro Sport II Biplane
69 Camaro
400 Small Block
AutoGear M22 4 Speed
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 04, 03:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

hmmm...ok.. fast when the air is cold... cold air is more dense,has more oxygen...long shot, but is your idle mixture set too rich? try leaning it out some, see what the rpm's do..

or perhaps the other way around? vacuam leak? but who ever heard of a vacuam leak only when the outside air is cold?

[ 10-08-2004, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: JimM ]

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 04, 04:56 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

Sounds like a vacuum leak to me. The secondary idle stop is also a possibility and is pretty much the same as a vacuum leak if it is open too far.

The air getting cooler causing the problem to show is probably just a coincidence if you are certain the electric choke is working correctly.

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode