stuck lifter? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 04, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

gettin a clickey click noise that in cant put my finger, or ear on for that matter on the passenger side, its present when idling @ 800RPM, all the way up to 2000+ then it goes away, at one point i thought it was the idler arm hitting my super comps, but at this point i fear it may be worse :-\

the motor idles smooth according to the tack, im certain my timing is off a bit, as i did it by ear (before one of you chimes in saying this is the problem, IT HAS ALWAYS DONE THIS, EVEN WITH PERFECT TIMING) and yes, i am running 91 octane gas....

is there any way for me to ABSALOUTELY diagnose that it is a stuck lifter? or what do you guys think it is for that matter?

i took the car out for a spin tonight, and stomped on the pedal a bit, i definately saw a backfire up into my air cleaner...

advice appreciated, this is my daily driver so i dont want to go tearing the car apart immediately
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 04, 01:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

if its has hydraulic lifters its is probably collapsed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 04, 02:15 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Add a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil. Run it for 1000 miles, change oil & filter.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 04, 05:05 AM
Senior Tech
Nick

It sounds like its your fuel pump.take something long and place it agains the pump and your ear and see if that is the noise. Nick
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 04, 05:29 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

An old trick to identify which lifter is the problem, pull teh valve cover, with the engine at idle, use a large srewdriver to push down on the pushrod end of the rocker. As you do this, the lifter will collapse. You will hear the ticking that is out of sinc with your ticking noise. Do each rocker until you hear one tick. That is the bad lifter. With engine off, trickle a little carb cleaner (drops, not alot)down the pushrod and let the car sit a bit. Start and let run. If the tick remains, replace the lifter. Now, IF you have a hole in the manifole big enough to fish a lifter out of, such as an old style oil fill or the distributer hole, using a slim magnetic pick-up tool, pull the rocker and pushrod out, slip the magnetic tool down the pushrod slot and lift the lifter out. Kick it towards the hole in the manifold and again, using the magnetic tool, lift it out. Installng a new one is just the reverse of removing the bad one. If the old lifter is stuck and won't come out of it's bore, go to the old way and remove the manifold. Used to do this years ago when cars were simple.

Daddy's Hot Rod.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 04, 06:16 AM
Senior Tech

I usually refrain from using magnets on parts I plan to reuse. The part will become partially magnetized and pick up small metal particals from the oil. I might be tempted to do the removal but not the install of a fresh part with a machined surface. Just my opinion.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 04, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

i did a search right before i posted this, im going to take everetts advice and try some of the good ol snake oil,

mrcool, it cant be my fuel pump, since i dont have a mechanical pump anyway, electric holley mounted near the tank in the rear
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 04, 08:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Make sure your alternator belt is not too tight.
Sometimes the bearing being pulled too hard can sound like a stuck lifter.
Funny but true. Try useing a broomstick handle placed to your ear to see if you can isolate the sound.
watch out for the belts. no luck there then
remove each belt one by one.
Alot of diferent things can make that sound.
Good luck - let me know what you find.
Jeff
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 04, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

i am definately sure it is not my belt

replaced alternator few days ago, checked for just that problem, again, this noise has been present since i bought the car, originally i thought it was just a blown head gasket, and the sound from a nearly open port sucking in cold air, but as i rememedied that, along witht the idler arm / header clearance, im almost certain it is a valvetrain issue
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 04, 10:59 AM

I have heard running a can of Seafoam in the crankcase for a short time will clean the lifter out if it dirty. If is just shot then you'll have to replace. BTW nothing beats Seafoam for removing carbon deposits from combustion chamber. (run thru the fuel line)
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 04, 08:26 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Snake oil worked for me with stuck/noisy lifters. I will never put MMO in my gas tank again though. Noting but problems. It broke loose junk in the tank and I had to change filters two times. the real small stuff made it to the carb and got in the needle and seat causing problems. After two carb cleanings all is back to normal and I guess I have a clean gas tank too.

Joe

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 04, 08:23 AM

Angry

Joe,

To me it is SOP to put an inline "can" fuel filter on my cars b/c of just what you said!!

pdq67

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 04, 03:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

it might be your fuel pump pushrod aswell.
those are known to give out.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 04, 05:48 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

PDQ;

I had the can type filters that are clear made by Fram, cost about $3.00 each. It was amazing the just that came trough the tank after putting that stuff in it. Could have come out of the fuel line? I am not seeing much stuff in it now but will be chaning it out in the next month just to be sure I don't have to pull the top off the Edelbrock 625 again.

Joe

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 04, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

well, the noise persists, i tried the screw driver trick, evne pulled off the valve cover to feel the rockers themselves, i can move the intake and exhaust rocker for every single cyldiner except the #8, (i think) cylinder closest to the firewall on the passenger side.

im not sure if its normal or not to be able to move the rocker from side to side, any input ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode