Vibration at speed - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 01, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I've seen some posts on here lately about vibrations, so I thought I'd post a question about my vibration. I've had my car for about 5 years now, and it has always had a vibration to it. Here's what happens: At about 50 mph, I start getting a light pulsating vibration that seems to run through the car in waves. The car will vibrate for about a second or two then quit, then vibrate then quit, etc. It's not so bad at about 50 miles per hour and I've gotten used to it, but it still bugs me. It's very hard to tell where it comes from since the entire car shakes and it goes through it in a wave-like progression. As I speed up to about 70, it gets more intense and the delay between vibrations decreases. When I hit 70 or so, it pretty much goes away. If I speed up to about 75 the vibration comes back very strong, pulsating very quickly and generally shaking the entire car. The vibration does not change based on throttle at about 45-50 mph. The frequency of the vibration at highway speed seems to change somewhat with the amount of gas I give it, and if I put it in neutral, the vibration changes from a pulsating wave-like vibration to a general shaking, and if I shut the engine off, it's still there. Also, all wheels appear to be keeping an even contact with the road at highway speeds...one of them is not jumping up and down.

Here's what I've replaced:

Front coil springs, front bushings, front tie rods, upper ball joints, (other ball joints seemed fine when I replaced the front springs), idler arm (twice), rear leaf spring bushings and shackle bushings, new shocks all around, new tires all around (twice) with multiple balancing and rebalancing, several alignments, front U-joint (I did not replace the rear ujoint, it seemed fine), subframe bushings with polyurethane. I've gotten alignments after each thing I have done on the suspension.

When I got the car, the front suspension was a mess....bad idler arm, one coil spring was experiencing coil bind on one side, upper ball joints in pretty bad shape. After doing all the front end work, the car still vibrates in the exact same way.

The car is silky smooth and absolutely vibration-free until about 45-50 mph.

Any ideas here? Is it the driveshaft since the frequency changes based on load? Should I get it balanced (haven't had this done since I can't find a place around here that does it)? There don't appear to be any missing weights from the driveshaft. I have not replaced the rear wheel bearings...could it be these or worn rear axles? Sorry for the long post, but I hope someone can help me out....I'm tired of it and want it fixed!!! Everyone loves to look at my car, but when I take them for a ride on the interstate, they wonder what is wrong with it.

------------------
Justin
-1967 Camaro SS350

www-student.furman.edu/users/j/jtrauner

[This message has been edited by jrt67ss350 (edited 03-27-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 01, 10:53 AM

See one or two up.

Regards,

Rick O'Loughlin
'69 RS-SS
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 01, 11:34 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Justin

Get the driveshaft straightened and balanced. See the other post in this section titled, "high speed vibration".

Mark

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 01, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for the replies guys. I found a place in town that will balance the driveshaft. They want like $48 to do it. Is this a reasonable price?

What about the rear wheel bearings? I think they are the original ones still in there. Do you think that worn rear wheel bearings could also cause this problem?

Thanks

------------------
Justin
-1967 Camaro SS350

www-student.furman.edu/users/j/jtrauner
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 01, 01:15 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Justin

$48 seems about right. It runs the same here. If you live in a large city you may be able to get it done cheaper, but I'd stick with a reputable shop.

I don't think the rear wheel bearings would cause a vibration, unless they were completely shot. They usually make a whinning or grinding sound. Hope it solves your problem.

Mark
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 01, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks, I will have my driveshaft balanced and see if that fixes the problem. Thanks again for the replies.

------------------
Justin Traunero
[email protected]

-1967 Camaro SS350

http://156.143.134.126/default.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode