6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 162 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 16, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Send a message via AIM to Winch Send a message via MSN to Winch
Re: Recommendations on carb and cam

The Trick Flow heads are TFS-30400002 with these specs:

Cylinder Heads, Super 23® 195, Fast As Cast®, Assembled, 62cc Chambers, 1.470" Springs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 162 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 16, 09:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch View Post
The Trick Flow heads are TFS-30400002 with these specs:

Cylinder Heads, Super 23® 195, Fast As Cast®, Assembled, 62cc Chambers, 1.470" Springs
Does your block have a matching hole for coolant passage between clys 3 &5 , 2 & 4 . My felpro gasket , 1010 came with instructions to drill the block where the head and gasket had the hole. This allowed more cooling between 3/5 & 2/4 as there was no water passage and created a hot spot. Might look into this .
I see this hole on your Trickflow head selection.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 162 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 16, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

I can't find any pics I should have taken of the block before assembly. That is something to keep in mind when I pull the intake. Thanks for the info.

One other thing I should make sure about a 4160 to replace my Edelbrock 750 is the various vacuum connections. I use 4 vacuum connections now. On the carb are PCV, a rear connection that I have hooked up to my RS headlights, and a manifold vac to distributor. I have capped off the ported vac. Then there is a connection on the intake manifold itself that I hooked to the power brake booster. I assume since that rear connection comes off the throttle plate ( I think that's what it is called, it's under the carb), that it would be full time (manifold) vacuum? I don't see as many connections on a Holley 4160. I see a ported vac and a full time vac and a PCV. If there are no others then I will need to Tee into either the PCV or the brake booster for my RS headlights. Also will there possibly be a clearance problem with the fitting in the manifold behind the carb when I switch to a Holley? (see pic)

Oh, and lets not get into a debate on manifold vs ported timing. That horse has been beat to death
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	68 Camaro rear vacuum connection.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	161570  

post #34 of 162 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 16, 09:58 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
I can't find any pics I should have taken of the block before assembly. That is something to keep in mind when I pull the intake. Thanks for the info.

One other thing I should make sure about a 4160 to replace my Edelbrock 750 is the various vacuum connections. I use 4 vacuum connections now. On the carb are PCV, a rear connection that I have hooked up to my RS headlights, and a manifold vac to distributor. I have capped off the ported vac. Then there is a connection on the intake manifold itself that I hooked to the power brake booster. I assume since that rear connection comes off the throttle plate ( I think that's what it is called, it's under the carb), that it would be full time (manifold) vacuum? I don't see as many connections on a Holley 4160. I see a ported vac and a full time vac and a PCV. If there are no others then I will need to Tee into either the PCV or the brake booster for my RS headlights. Also will there possibly be a clearance problem with the fitting in the manifold behind the carb when I switch to a Holley? (see pic)

Oh, and lets not get into a debate on manifold vs ported timing. That horse has been beat to death
You can not use the brake booster line beyond the plastic one way valve in the vacuum ;line or you have no power brakes. A Vacuum T is easy to use.

Big Dave
post #35 of 162 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 16, 10:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

I see what you have on the manifold now. Get you one of these manifold fittings and put where that elbow going to your booster. Search Term: Vacuum Fittings - Ricks Camaro Parts

You can also find these in parts stores, . If you get one with 3 or 4 ports, one will go to brake booster. One will go to the head lights. You can cap the rest.

On the front of your new holley carb, there should be at least one port that is manifold vac. Use it for the distrib if vac is needed. If you have mechanical, just leave it capped.
Like Dave said, the large hose goes to booster only.
A carb base port can go to the pcv . As for the clearance, just find a thick carb spacer , maybe 1/4 or 3/8th. That should get the back carb bowl away from the fittings.

What did I miss?

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #36 of 162 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 16, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Here's a pic of a 4160 setting on a Performer RPM manifold. Looks like plenty of clearance.

So putting a Tee in either manifold or carb PCV connection is OK for my headlights?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Holley 4160 on Performer RPM.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	161578  
post #37 of 162 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 16, 10:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Here's a pic of a 4160 setting on a Performer RPM manifold. Looks like plenty of clearance.

So putting a Tee in either manifold or carb PCV connection is OK for my headlights?
NO, these are not vac ports to run other stuff. You have one port below the fuel bowl, I see it, that is manifold vac or your dist . Other can be plugged. Might as well plug those extra ports you circled if not needed.
Get a tee like the ones in the link I sent you. The largest port goes to brake booster.
If there is a vac port at the base of this holley carb, use it for pcv.

Other ports off that multi port behind carb, you can use one for your head lamps. Others can be capped if not needed.

Don
TC # 349

post #38 of 162 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 16, 10:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

I used one of these on my manifold before I switched to a Demon carb which covers the rear port: Rick's First Gen and search for "Camaro Intake Manifold Vacuum Fitting"
The big fitting for the brake booster, one for the trans if you need it and one for the headlights. They also come with 1 or 3 small ports as well. You can run a hard line from the large port so it does not interfere with your throttle linkage then go with a rubber line the rest of the way.

68 RS Coupe 355/350 TH, Detroit Speed, Hotchkis, Vintage Air, 8.5" 3.42 posi 10-bolt, MagnaFlow 2 1/2" exhaust, etc.

"The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men."
Samuel Adams

Last edited by larryh56; Sep 26th, 16 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Rick's links are not working
post #39 of 162 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 16, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Well I guess I'm going to get to try my hand at rebuilding and using a Holley. I just won one on eBay for $16. There were 3 bids before me so I figured I wouldn't get it anyway. It's an 1850-3 1751. Hope it's usable.
post #40 of 162 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 16, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Who has the best rebuild kit for a Holley 4160? Does any of them include the vacuum secondary diaphragm? Most I'm looking at like 37-119 and 37-720 don't appear to have it included.
post #41 of 162 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 16, 08:17 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Summit has the vacuum secondary replacement diaphragm for $9.67 plus shipping.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...rese1-_-holley

You can go to your corner discounted Chinese auto part import store and buy the same part for $14.99 plus sales tax. No rebuild kit has the diaphragm in it.

Big Dave
post #42 of 162 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 16, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

I also like the kits and parts I see here: Holley 4150 Carburetor Parts | carburetor-parts

Big Dave, do you have any extra parts for a 4160 if I see I need something when I tear it down? I might want to replace the throttle base as the butterflies are really rusty and don't even open.
post #43 of 162 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 16, 09:03 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
I also like the kits and parts I see here: Holley 4150 Carburetor Parts | carburetor-parts

Big Dave, do you have any extra parts for a 4160 if I see I need something when I tear it down? I might want to replace the throttle base as the butterflies are really rusty and don't even open.
I'm pretty sure I have a good base plate out in the barn. Just a matter of digging it out. I 'll send you a PM with particulars.

Big Dave
post #44 of 162 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 16, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

My throttle body might be OK after all. They do open. I'll see when I get it cleaned up.

It appears I'm missing some manual choke parts though. There is no lever or bracket to hold the cable. Nor do I see how a lever would attach to the square plastic part. Does a screw go in there to hold it on?

Big Dave would you have the parts I need here? PM me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Holley from eBay manual choke.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	162634  
post #45 of 162 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 16, 09:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Dave may be without power at the moment.
The carb you have has the mechanical choke setup , best I can see as I never saw one with black housing.
I believe you will need the entire electric choke set up.

Don
TC # 349

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode