Ebay heads - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 16, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Ebay heads

I see a lot of old threads cursing Procomp aluminum heads, but not much recent. Anyone have any recent experience with them or other "inexpensive" BBC heads out on ebay? I'm looking for an alternative to a set of Brodix heads that didn't work out.
I was looking at the heads in the link below. Less than a G note and they look pretty decent. The only issue is they're 320cc runners. Other than that, what am I missing? Why wouldn't I want these? I'm not going with crazy spring pressures that would pull rocker studs out of aluminum.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141676719254...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Chevy 396 427 454 496 502 BBC Aluminum Heads oval port chevrolet 540 572 new

'69 SS396 X66 L34 08D M21 BS
460ci Gen VI 9.75:1 AED 950 carb
241/249 @ .050" .625/.625 110 LSA

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 16, 06:45 AM
ds1
Senior Tech
Dan

Garage
Re: Ebay heads

The issue with Pro Comp is really inferior parts. We have two sets we use on a 489 pump gas race engine. The valve seats are cheap. We had to have them replaced after 2 seasons. The valves chipped also. After 5 seasons and 2 rebuilds 2 guides started coming out. The machine shop said it was hard getting the guides for them. If you can buy a set cheep and put the money into them, they flow great. Our engine made 648 without a vacuum pump and 660 with a vacuum pump on just 5 inches. I bought the second set of heads that were cnc ported with a dropped valve for $175. So that is our experience with them. Bruce you just don't need them. I built a low compression 396 for our 69 daily driver. I backed it with a T5 world class trans and a 3.73 posi. I used 123 cc chamber 454 heads. It can run on 89 octane. Gas quality is not getting any better. Dan
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 16, 07:02 AM
John

Garage

I ran some on a SBC 400. Procomp Bare heads that were then finished by Walker Racing.

Heads performed very well without any issues.

I don't think I would buy the assembled PC Heads

Do NOT buy anything for CLEWWHO40 on Ebay. The guy is a scammer and when you bring an issue to his attention he'll tell you to go F**k yourself. Sold me a crap 427. Not the right crank, not the right bore. Was actually a cheap built 496 when I specifically wanted only a 427.

Took him to court and won

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 16, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds1 View Post
The issue with Pro Comp is really inferior parts. We have two sets we use on a 489 pump gas race engine. The valve seats are cheap. We had to have them replaced after 2 seasons. The valves chipped also. After 5 seasons and 2 rebuilds 2 guides started coming out. The machine shop said it was hard getting the guides for them. If you can buy a set cheep and put the money into them, they flow great. Our engine made 648 without a vacuum pump and 660 with a vacuum pump on just 5 inches. I bought the second set of heads that were cnc ported with a dropped valve for $175. So that is our experience with them. Bruce you just don't need them. I built a low compression 396 for our 69 daily driver. I backed it with a T5 world class trans and a 3.73 posi. I used 123 cc chamber 454 heads. It can run on 89 octane. Gas quality is not getting any better. Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
I ran some on a SBC 400. Procomp Bare heads that were then finished by Walker Racing.

Heads performed very well without any issues.

I don't think I would buy the assembled PC Heads

Do NOT buy anything for CLEWWHO40 on Ebay. The guy is a scammer and when you bring an issue to his attention he'll tell you to go F**k yourself. Sold me a crap 427. Not the right crank, not the right bore. Was actually a cheap built 496 when I specifically wanted only a 427.

Took him to court and won
Excellent info. I'm leaning more towards the ones from GA. I don't think they even have a name attached to them, but they have 100s of thousands of positive feedback. How do you get that if you're selling junk?
I would get the bare heads, but I just feel like if I get them assembled they might catch possible issues before they even leave the machine shop. It's short money extra for the assembled too. Probably not so much for me to drop them off at a machine shop myself. In the end, these are going on a street, and maybe a few times playing at the strip, car. They'll be relatively low compression and probably never see north of 5.5k rpms. If I have to replace valve seats or valves in a few years, I can live with that.
Thanks for the heads up on CLEWWHO40 John. I thought I read a few negative things about him in my search. I'll steer clear.
Thanks a lot guys.

'69 SS396 X66 L34 08D M21 BS
460ci Gen VI 9.75:1 AED 950 carb
241/249 @ .050" .625/.625 110 LSA

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode