Over the weekend, my dad, brother and I pulled out a 454 out of a '77 "Camper Special" Silverado Suburban. My brother's 69 Nova has a tired, old, borrowed-from-a-friend 307. So we're pondering doing a BBC swap in the Nova.
We brought it home with the water pump, fuel pump, exhaust manifolds, truck oil pan and all the pulleys/brackets. We also have a buyer ready to take the SBC headers when we do the swap. Car already had BB springs. . .
I'm looking for information on the BBC swap into a 68-74 Nova. Specifically the actual mounting/placing of the engine. I know the rest of the drivetrain needs to be upgraded (6 cylinder stuff), but I wan't to know what I need to do to actually fit this monster into the nova.
I know a few things already:
1. BB upper and lower mounts are needed or the engine might sit too low, causing the crank pulley to barely touch the crossmember. And some header/ex. manifold fitment issues also.
2. May have to modify firewall to use large cap HEI.
3. His nova already has BB springs and brand new 4-row radiator, so that should be set.
Have some questions though:
1. Are their headers (1 3/4 probably) that fit a rear-steer nova w/ the stock power steering box? (don't know what the ratio is, is there some way to decode it?)
2. Is the power steering pump/pulley/bracket the same on BB and SB novas?
3. Anything else I should know?